Marble Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trccscott

Reaction score
My first marble find while digging. It is a really imperfect sphere, so not sure if that helps and I can try and take more detailed pic if needed...

BCA57AA59DD9441DAC134063CDD679DE.jpg

Attachments

• BCA57AA59DD9441DAC134063CDD679DE.jpg
    BCA57AA59DD9441DAC134063CDD679DE.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 84

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello trccscott; I don't know a lot about marbles. I have watched them made by hand in wood and graphite half round mold cavities; also made by machine and tower drop methods. I used to have boxes of them when I played marbles as a kid. I have some old stone marbles that are in an original little wooden box. I have a marble that my oldest daughter made for me.
Beyond that I have to point out, that the roughness you mentioned could be formed because the marble was em-pontiled in the secondary forming, if it was hand made.
They are more fun when you get to find them in a dig.. RED Matthews

Road Dog

Reaction score
Transitional for sure. Handgathered. Probably M.F. Christensen. You can see a shear mark in the first pic. After the gather these marbles were placed on rollers to get the round shape. That's why you can't feel the shear mark, but still see it.

trccscott

Reaction score
Outstanding, and thanks for the information! What date would you put this marble to be from then, and would it have been US made or foreign made?

ORIGINAL: Road Dog

Transitional for sure. Handgathered. Probably M.F. Christensen. You can see a shear mark in the first pic. After the gather these marbles were placed on rollers to get the round shape. That's why you can't feel the shear mark, but still see it. 

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal