Bringing bottles and glass to the masses

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
There does seem to be a major gap in the age of collectors that I think is the result of easy diggings have dried up... that said almost 90% of the people Ive dug with over the years were green horns and Ive dug with a lot of people... All of my girlfriends over the years have loved the bottles also but didn't care for digging much. I think thats why we see a large majority of men old enough to have dug in the 60's and 70's as the main body of collectors. Just a bunch of treasure digging boys grown up! I think in the future we are going to see a new face in bottle collecting, hopefully a purchase driven collecting base, compromised of women and men alike although I do think collecting is driven somewhat by the instinct to hunt, a primal need to go out and collect a bounty carefully hunted that is programed in every male from birth! Also we have to remember that many people get back into hobbies after retirement when they have time... I know a lot of people who are not active now because they just dont have the time and money but Im sure will be sailing full wind when things do slow down. There is still a lot of stuff in the ground too...

div2roty

Reaction score
I started buying cheap bottles to sell in my antique store when I was 25 or so, slowly becoming a collector as I learned about bottles and joined the local bottle club at 27 or so. I was the only member under 40 and no other people under 40 have since joined. Currently I'm 31.

Of course digging, on average, will be dominated by younger people.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: div2roty

I started buying cheap bottles to sell in my antique store when I was 25 or so, slowly becoming a collector as I learned about bottles and joined the local bottle club at 27 or so.  I was the only member under 40 and no other people under 40 have since joined. Currently I'm 31.

Of course digging, on average, will be dominated by younger people.

The bottle club I'm in is even worse in that sense. There's me, and when I showed up at my first meeting all the people's eyes popped. The next youngest is my mom at 47. Then there's my digging partner, who's in his mid fifties. So the age gap here is monstrous!

I've even tried to get some people my age into collecting, but honestly no one's really interested. Still, I'm not completely alone, I saw a few young collectors (as in under 10) at the show. I sold a couple bottles to them cheap.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It's gonna be tough to maintain club meeting attendance in this day and age, when there is the internet option..

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: tigue710

There does seem to be a major gap in the age of collectors that I think is the result of easy diggings have dried up... that said almost 90% of the people Ive dug with over the years were green horns and Ive dug with a lot of people... All of my girlfriends over the years have loved the bottles also but didn't care for digging much. I think thats why we see a large majority of men old enough to have dug in the 60's and 70's as the main body of collectors. Just a bunch of treasure digging boys grown up! I think in the future we are going to see a new face in bottle collecting, hopefully a purchase driven collecting base, compromised of women and men alike although I do think collecting is driven somewhat by the instinct to hunt, a primal need to go out and collect a bounty carefully hunted that is programed in every male from birth! Also we have to remember that many people get back into hobbies after retirement when they have time... I know a lot of people who are not active now because they just dont have the time and money but Im sure will be sailing full wind when things do slow down. There is still a lot of stuff in the ground too...

Well said Tigue....I started in 7th grade...I'm now 53. I find it so fascinating that it's hard for me to comprehend (most) younger folks not being "into it"....present company excepted[;)]. It's got a lot going for it as a life long interest/passion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler