Bringing bottles and glass to the masses

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

div2roty

Reaction score
The cat is chalkware Matt and it's a form I have not seen before. It did not get much attention at the show but it was probably located in the worst spot in the booth. Happy to send pics if you'd like...

I thought it might be wood, chalkware doesn't excite me as much.

Like you I've always taken bottles to antique shows. Of course I expect to sell the cheaper ones, esp locals, but I've surprised myself by selling bottles in the $50-200 range to non bottle collectors.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The rabbit is (or was, it sold) cast iron Melinda. They never seem to last very long at a show. The same is true with early velvet animals - folks love them!

div2roty

Reaction score
That is a nice one drawer stand too.

My buddy said he sold a lot there during setup. What type of reaction do you get from the other dealers concerning the bottles?

tigue710

Reaction score
very nice display. Love those chestnuts. I remember talking to Holly about the chalkware, and possibly even that particular cat... I was sidetracked by a few nice inks similar to ones I had just dug on an ajoining table though, I hope she didnt think I was too rude! The banes of ADHD...

Ive always thought that glass & bottles deserved a much wider audience, I never quite understood why they haven't to be honest... What antique enthusiast wouldn't enjoy small crude colorful easily displayed works of American folk art? On the other hand There is the whole exposure thing worries most diggers, lets not start that again though

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: div2roty

That is a nice one drawer stand too.

My buddy said he sold a lot there during setup. What type of reaction do you get from the other dealers concerning the bottles?

There's limited interest in bottles and glass among the other dealers. What is most fascinating (to my simple mind anyways) is that the bottle collecting hobby is overwhelmingly male (with notable and exemplary exceptions) but my audience for bottles and glass at antique shows is 90% female. Strange, eh?!

div2roty

Reaction score
There's limited interest in bottles and glass among the other dealers. What is most fascinating (to my simple mind anyways) is that the bottle collecting hobby is overwhelmingly male (with notable and exemplary exceptions) but my audience for bottles and glass at antique shows is 90% female. Strange, eh?!

I generally sell some bottles at antique shows to actual bottle collectors, but when I do sell bottles at antique shows to non-collectors they are almost all women too. Perhaps making it even stranger is that a very strong majority of my customers are men (in the store and at antique shows). Although I do deal in "man" collectibles like bottles, crocks, advertising, etc. It makes it even stranger that my non bottle collector sales go to women. Hopefully its a good sign for the hobby. Despite the amount of youngsters on this forum, the hobby is hurting for members that are not males over the age of 50-60. We need more collectors and hopefully those random women buying at antique shows can help fill the void.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Well, speaking from the perspective of a "youngster", we want some women in this hobby too! [:D]

AMEN! (Although at 41 I can no longer consider myself a youngster, in spite of my behavior[:D])

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not exactly a spring chicken but I don't fit that age group either.. hey Jeff that setup was superior, kudos to you, i am sure it was a great event! [:)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229