New Saratoga

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
I found this green Congress Water bottle from Saratoga NY. while antiquing. This one says Hotchkiss and Son. I don't know much about it but purchased it for $33.00 anyways. It looks similar to teal Congress Water I bought a few years ago for $30.00. I wonder which one is older.

248A365C2D0E4E64B73C9A43B9281AC5.jpg

Attachments

• 248A365C2D0E4E64B73C9A43B9281AC5.jpg
    248A365C2D0E4E64B73C9A43B9281AC5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58

epackage

Reaction score
They look awesome side by side, now open those blinds up and let the sun do the rest!!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello JustGlass' I have a big collection of these SARATOGA Mineral Water Bottles. The first thing you need to do is spend another $30.00 guesstament - to get a copy of "Collector['s Guide to the Saratoga Type Mineral Water Bottles" by Donald Tucker. <dtucker@gwi.net> I will check out your two bottles later this morning, in that book, and no doubt get back to you.. I studied these bottles to learn about when they started chilling the mold iron castings for the molds. I also determined when they started venting the shoulders; also, to learn about the makers marks that they used on the bottoms of the bottles to tell which shop made them and who made them, and I guess to pay incentive for their work rate and quality maintenance.
They are great bottles to collect. RED Matthews

Diggin4Togas

Reaction score
Hi Gary, I believe that the Hotchkiss' sons was added to the original CONGRESS & EMPIRE bottles after Hotchkiss controlled most of the stocks in the company. Nice bottles for a fraction of the cost! Randy

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again: I think the Hotchkiss Sons is a C-15 because of howfar the lettering come down on each side of fhe C. Does yours have a makers mark on the bottom. A [+ sign, or dots (one,two,three or four) or a square box].

The blueish one is not identified enough to look it up. Your picture shows the back side with "/ CONGRESS " crescent form over a horizontal "/ WATER " and nothing about the front or the bottom.

Both look like they have the normal sloppy glass under the tooled finish.
Nice bottles anyway. Your investment is OK also. RED Matthews

JustGlass

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The hotchkiss is the first one I have run acrossed. I didn't know you could trace the maker by the mark on base. Can you also ID where warner safe cures are made by the numbers on their base?

FE7D9F4FEFE0404BA24796DF56197A0A.jpg

Attachments

• FE7D9F4FEFE0404BA24796DF56197A0A.jpg
    FE7D9F4FEFE0404BA24796DF56197A0A.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 55

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the pictures. The makers mark does not tell us which glass factory made the bottles, unfortunately.
> All we know about the makers marks is that these marks told the glass factory which bottle maker made them. We don't actually know if that was for quality assurance, or the count on how many bottles a particular shop made in their shift. It was just done for some type of control.
> It has intrigued me because it became an important thing to do in the busy cycle of making enough Case Gin bottles to meet the demands in those years after Gin was invented and exported all over the world.
> It also became a standard thing to have showing in the massive demand for the Mineral Water bottles back in the days of the craze for Mineral Water when it was discovered in the area around Albany - Saratoga, New York State with the pushing of doctors and health nuts demand.

To my knowledge and collecting experience - I haven't seen much evidence of it happening in early soda or other beverage bottles, anywhere. Just those two types of glass. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler