A Trip to "Marble Mountain"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Today was a perfect day to be out digging, and I was able to meet with forum member MsLeonas to explore some potential digging areas. Unfortunately summertime had brought in a lot of foliage, making things rather difficult. We did find some cool things, like a stone tunnel, some soda bottles, and some slag glass.

The last place we went to Leona had dubbed "Marble mountain" as a kid. It sounded pretty cool actually. I would have certainly been entranced as a kid by a rocky slope that produced marbles and chunks of green glass.

Of course when we got there it was now dominated by a large concrete retaining wall. We searched carefully, and were rewarded by slag glass on one side. We found two nice chunks of this mossy green glass. Then we found some marbles of the same color. The strangest find was an odd rock, possibly of man-made origin with glass melted onto one side. It reminded me of a glass melting pot. Lastly there was a strange rock with nice light blue hues in it. I'm still pretty stumped, but had to take it home and find out what it was.

Upon returning home I was able to discover the origin of this green glass. The nearby mill was hope to an Owens Corning marble factory starting in the 1940s. It appears that they made marbles then melted them to make fiberglass. We must have found "defective" marbles, which was fine by me since they were fairly crude.

7458218992_65bd01174a_z.jpg

Slag chunk
7458219330_91f05859dc_z.jpg

7458219592_ebb87dd339_z.jpg

Rock with slag on it
7458219916_b3d33a0f6f_z.jpg

Interesting rock
7458220594_3a4911a2d8_z.jpg

msleonas

Reaction score
Taylor thanks for posting! I love the Marble Mountain reference. It was the highlight of my day. Thanks again.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
that 'rock' might be crust they skimmed off the top of the glass melt or sodium carbonate that didnt get mixed in.

msleonas

Reaction score
I think the rock might be beryl.
Check out the 4th picture down on this website:
http://www.themineralgallery.com/berylroom.htm

buddhanot

Reaction score
Nice stuffs .. is that sellable? makes me wonder ..[&:]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads