Queenstown Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Charles32

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and know nothing about bottle collecting so not sure if I have this in the right post.

If anyone has anymore information on either of my two bottles that they would share with me I would very much appreciate it.

Bottle One – Front Face
'DELANY'
'QUEENSTOWN'
Bottle One – Base
P & R B

23E7CACF4C8340098F9415E3B27EF340.jpg

Attachments

• 23E7CACF4C8340098F9415E3B27EF340.jpg
    23E7CACF4C8340098F9415E3B27EF340.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 76

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Charles,

Welcome to the Blue Pages, and thanks for bringing the bottle.

Are you in Cork? They are looking very dark on my monitor. The Delaney, I believe, was made by Powell & Ricketts in Britain.

Oreilly & Son are listed as "Bottlers" in this Cork Directory:

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1913guyscitycountyalmanacanddirectory/1913pages186to267/GuysCorkAlmanac1913Pages194%20to%20201.pdf

and again, in 1921:

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/streetandtradedirectories/1921guyscitycountyalmanacanddirectory/1921pages96to199/1921%20p.168-175.pdf

day-1-queenstown_dock1.jpg

Charles32

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the reply, yes I am living in Cork and these two bottles I rescued from the Sea at Cobh where they where washed up on the shore.

That might explain why they are a little dark but I will try to get some better photos, this was my first attempt!
Thanks for the links, very interesting, would you say then that these bottles are post 1900 and are they hand made?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello again, Charles,

If you could do some closeup photography, in natural light, that would show the blob top meeting the side seam, and the base, and allow us to see the color, we might be able to advise you more accurately.

Just guessing, from their appearance, that they are in the late Victorian / early Edwardian era...

donkey-cart.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Charles, My guess is that the bottle is hand made. It is hard to tell unless one can study the seams and making markings on each bottle they wonder about.
Since you are this new to bottle collecting, I would send you a copy of my little review of what to look for on old bottles, to help you realize how they were made and the marks to look for. you can email me your email address <bottlelmysteries@yahoo.com>
I only saw one bottle pictured on your post, and it looks like a blob top, so there should be turned tool marks on the finish, without vertical seams. If so it is mouth blown. This brings up another subject,. There is a book that is titled "THE MOUTH-BLOWN BOTTLE" by Grace Kendrick; that everyone collecting bottles needs to read. This woman studied the methods o making hand blown glass to the point where she learned how to blow bottles, and the book takes you there.
Welcome to this forum. RED Matthews

Check out my home page!!

Charles32

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the detailed responses.

Queenstown existed between 1850 and 1920 when it was renamed Cobh with the foundation of the Irish Free State, so that helps place the dates of the bottles somewhat.

I am travelling at the moment but will take more detailed photos and post on Thursday.

Thanks again...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome Charles,
I'll say it's one of the later productions in the 1900-20 era from the look of it.I'll disagree with Powell and Rickets. They were a glass maker in Bristol I think. Yours looks more like a branded mineral water or something bottle.
I like being correct but I'm just a satisfied with the correct answer so I hope that comes along soon.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese