Monell 10 minute Pain Destroyer: Reviseted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've had this for a many years and nothing has changed, I've been following it for as many and only been able to come up with 4 distinct bottles, two without tops. One had been sold more thn once.
53CDA8D05A704AA5A76AE7D839E3383B.jpg

Why have they never brought any decent money? There obviously wasn't a hoard found.
Do they just look too much like a fake? Were they? I can see that happening.
Maybe the string just looks to new or the burst bubble like the ones I've seen hurt so bad? Still, a pain med with a ground stopper seams a bit odd, odd enough to be interesting anyway.
I'd put this in the $50-75 range myself but I've never seen close to that out of any of them. Then again, I've never tried to sell mine so there are only 3 I know of to be offered.
My mind is just officially blown.[:D]

PS: Here's an old link from 2010 with some more history on the man and his meds, including, I think his rather strange falling out the window death. If not, I'll find it.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-309365/tm.htm

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I remember that and I was flabbergasted. It was, if I remember a 2-3 time owner and why I say only 3 or 4 actual known. I also think from the bubble it went back to Jeff and was a great deal for an unknown bottle at the time. That blows my mind also on the resell. It should have got more money or at least more interest. That's why I'm wondering if they just don't look real even though I'm convinced they are as real as rain.
I think it was TROG that sent me some info on a chemist bottle with a ground top in a similar form, I don't remember. It was on a different forum but I think it was an Australian bottle. I think I still have the info somewhere.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I normally would keep this post to myself [:)] , but the question is a good one, being an open forum I am willing to share this with my friends who collect...

Why the lack of monetary interest in this bottle? [>:]

It's too new. Bottles later than 1870ish or dare I say lacking pontil [8|] are not being sought. This same scenario plays out with; not only medicines; but, with NY beers. There are hundreds of great rare NY beers that; to my delight [sm=thumbup1.gif]; are basically snubbed. This is not the only area where I see this phenom occur. [:-]

I never saw your original post so thanks for sharing. Yours is a great bottle. [sm=thumbup.gif]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: UncleBruce

I normally would keep this post to myself [:)] , but the question is a good one, being an open forum I am willing to share this with my friends who collect...

Why the lack of monetary interest in this bottle? [>:]

It's too new. Bottles later than 1870ish or dare I say lacking pontil [8|] are not being sought. This same scenario plays out with; not only medicines; but, with NY beers. There are hundreds of great rare NY beers that; to my delight [sm=thumbup1.gif]; are basically snubbed. This is not the only area where I see this phenom occur. [:-]

I never saw your original post so thanks for sharing. Yours is a great bottle. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Thanks for the comment Bruce, I have no clue. I'm leaning toward no specialized collectors (1950's ACL's can go through the roof) or it looks to good to be real (can't take a chance on buying a repro). I've all but ruled out burst bubbles or other minor flaws with so few showing up. I can unerstand the idea though. Why are there so few? Making a mold wasn't cheap, neither was fitting a ground stopper though so why make it this way at all?
I suspect these and other questions will haunt me 'til I die.
In the basics of marketing there just isn't a supply or demand.

I got it!!! I'll have to find the Cocaine or Opium connection to it's contents. $500 easy then.[:D][:D]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Its a small amber turn of the century patent medicine from NY. There were thousands of different NY patent medicines made , many unsuccessful and rare. Its only uncommon feature is it has a ground stopper. I think they are cool bottles but I am a medicine bottle freak. The reality is there are so many late NY meds to chose from it just gets lost in the crowd.
I recommend pursuing the opium approach[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen