Labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Road Dog

Reaction score
I'm getting a bottle that the label is detached from the bottle. Would you or have you reattached a label? What did you use? A mucilage?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Rory,

To keep it period, wouldn't you want to use an animal parts glue.

"The first actual glue factory was founded in Holland in the early 18th century. In the 1750s, the English introduced fish glue. As the modern world evolved, several other patented[clarification needed] materials, such as bones, starch, fish skins and isinglass, and casein, were introduced as alternative materials for glue manufacture..." From.

8384583060_b0ebe0f197.jpg

assault-with-deadly-glue-gun-lois-winston-paperback-cover-art.jpg

diggerdirect

Reaction score
We use a 'hide glue' in the antique restoration of furniture, ect. Can get it dry powder or pre-mixed liquid. Main benefit is it can be undone with moisture, drawbacks are unused portion goes rancid pretty quick & cost.
For label corners, ect. on old glass bottles & things I just use the Elmer's 'white' glue diluted alittle with warm water on a finger. Alittle bit goes along ways and easy cleanup of edges or squeeze out..

Al

diggerdirect

Reaction score
On another note, years ago I purchased a Holtzerman's Stomach Bitters cabin from the Ring collection with complete label. The label was almost 100% detached, so I took the opportunity to remove the label and wash the bottle. Put the label back on with Elmers white glue. Looked great.

Sitting at dinner that night heard a 'pop' sound, looked up on the bottle hutch and don't ya know that bottle was in a dozen pieces! Only thing I could figure was washing it in warm water then putting the glued label right on caused stress as the glass cooled down or maybe a potstone somewhere under the label. I've never gotten over that! [:eek:]

Al

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I would have thought MUCH, MUCH older that Surf? Something like pine sap?
OK, a glue for labels, not just a binding substance. My wrong.

Road Dog

Reaction score
Binding? That's a whole nuther subject.[:D] Ya'll came up with some good ones no doubt. I went with a glue stick. I just hit the label in 4 places . Just enough to hold it on the bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen