Hutchinson's stopper Extractor

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Does anybody on the forum actually have one of theses?....got be the ultimate go with for the hard core Hutch guy!;)

Hutchinson's stopper Extractor.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Surely a few of the stopper extractors still exist, but I suspect if they are not marked with the name Hutchinson or a patent number, that most people probably don't even know what they are. They kind of look like some type of long handled button hook. The same goes for the pliers - they are probably a mystery tool if not marked in some manner.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Take this mystery tool for example - can anybody tell me what it is and when it was patented? Of the dozens of people I have shown it to not one ever guessed correctly what it is.

(I own it and it still works)

Mystery Tool.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Must be pretty early...it's not a lipping tool, never seen one before!...just a wild guess...I don't even know what it would be called but is it to do with the bottom edge of the bottle?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'll be back shortly with the answer!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Its a ...

Gopher Trap

According to the book I have, this type was made between 1877 and 1908. Mine is real similar to the one pictured in the middle which was the third model. I guesstimate the year at circa 1890-1900. Its spring operated and when sprung forces the points to clamp down onto Mr. unlucky gopher. They are considered rare.

Gopher Trap Book Illustration (497x700).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese