Transitional Hutchinson - The Ideal Mineral Water MFG. Co. - Found 4/5/2024

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
your Sullivan proves my theory true, just because a bottle doesn't look like your typical hutchinson bottle doesn't mean it can't have a hutch stopper. what makes a Hutchinson bottle a Hutchinson bottle, the shape of the bottle or the stopper/closure used in the bottle or both? So, if a bottle found with it's original hutch stopper intact but does not have your usual typical hutchinson bottle shape then what is it? something someone needs to define. I noticed not all bottles pictured/listed on Ron Fowlers Hutchbook.com website have the typical usual looking hutch shape, many different shaped bottles on there. My Gus Wolf & Truesdell pictured on his site.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
your Sullivan proves my theory true, just because a bottle doesn't look like your typical hutchinson bottle doesn't mean it can't have a hutch stopper. what makes a Hutchinson bottle a Hutchinson bottle, the shape of the bottle or the stopper/closure used in the bottle or both? So, if a bottle found with it's original hutch stopper intact but does not have your usual typical hutchinson bottle shape then what is it? something someone needs to define. I noticed not all bottles pictured/listed on Ron Fowlers Hutchbook.com website have the typical usual looking hutch shape, many different shaped bottles on there. My Gus Wolf & Truesdell pictured on his site.
My Sullivan bottle illustrates well Hutchinson bottles with an elongated neck are nothing more than Hutchinson patent bottles. That bottle is a rarity for Sullivan, an anomaly. His common bottle is a 7 inch blob top. That bottle has the original spring stopper inside, no question it is a Hutchinson. Few bottlers in Trenton tried the Huthinson bottle, it was not as popular as other NJ cities.
I cautiously try to rely on experience, not speculation because a lot of the users of forums are novice collectors. They tend to absorb questionable theories and pretty soon speculation becomes absolute fact. There's already too much of that among bottle collectors.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Most people would take one look at your Sullivan & insist/refuse to call it a Hutchinson bottle. not saying I agree or disagree. people say the same thing about some of my bottles found with hutch stoppers. I rely on experience & document proof. If I speculate on something I usually say so or say my opinion, which should not be used as fact. Seems you spread questionable theory's yourself, wasn't it you that said or implied or gave the impression 1870's bottle never came with round slug plates, in my opinion, my experience & facts proved that wrong.

P.S. Lets say a bottle is being used in 1878 & 79 with some kind of outside wire stopper closure. the bottle gets returned & reused but by 1880 the hutchinson stopper starts being used. could this then be used in your returned 1878 bottle your reusing in 1880????????

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Most people would take one look at your Sullivan & insist/refuse to call it a Hutchinson bottle. not saying I agree or disagree. people say the same thing about some of my bottles found with hutch stoppers. I rely on experience & document proof. If I speculate on something I usually say so or say my opinion, which should not be used as fact. Seems you spread questionable theory's yourself, wasn't it you that said or implied or gave the impression 1870's bottle never came with round slug plates, in my opinion, my experience & facts proved that wrong.

P.S. Lets say a bottle is being used in 1878 & 79 with some kind of outside wire stopper closure. the bottle gets returned & reused but by 1880 the hutchinson stopper starts being used. could this then be used in your returned 1878 bottle your reusing in 1880????????
How about us being civil to each other and not get so trapped in defending ourselves we throw civility out the window. I too have entertained the same questions about Hutchinson bottles with somewhat extended necks. But after 50 years collecting chose to leave ithat and other questions open. I have often never avoided stirring up the water for the sake of jarring people into thinking about what they believe or don't believe. It's not insulting to encourage people to think and question. I found out along ago thinking and questioning can be a good thing.
That's my final word on this thread. Thanks for your opinions.

hemihampton

Reaction score
thought provoking debate is good some say. something to think about.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator