New Collector Advice

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Knepper3

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have always loved ACL bottles and any older bottles in general. Have a few but never really got into it fearing breakage with 2 kids and us moving around alot. Now that my kids are older and about out of the house I have some time and would really like to start collecting. I wondered what advice you could give someone newer? Really interested in what (in general) to look out for in terms of collectability. I know condition as the obvious: filled, capped, etc? I personally like ACL of any kind and mason jars but I want to be able to see something of value that I can grab and flip to have $ for more of what I want to keep too.

I''d likely be hitting up the older hidden antique places north of me but always keep my eyes open.

Privyprowlerz

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us.

You are outside my area of knowledge. Perhaps post in the " Soda " forum below.

The market on ACL sodas and milks has really expanded in recent years. Best of luck to
you in your journey!!

Jim
pick pix 10.26.11 013.jpg

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I collect ACLs myself, along with just about whatever other kind of bottles I find interesting. When it comes to ACL bottles, one of the main factors that affect collectibility is the subject matter on the label. Usually an ACL bottle with a more interesting, detailed picture will go for more and be more desirable than one with just a plain, less interesting label. An example of a desirable ACL would be a bottle with a picture of an indian, landscape, pretty girl, etc. Rarity can also have an impact on the collectibility of ACL bottles. A harder to find bottle will be more likely to have a higher value than a more common bottle. Condition can also majorly affect the value and collectibility of bottles. A bottle with any damage like chips, cracks, case wear, faded or missing paint, etc. will lose some (depending on how much damage) of its value. I have found that a bottle that is filled and capped doesn't really add much value or collectibility to the bottle, but it can be cool to find a bottle with its original contents. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask; there's plenty of knowledgable people on this forum who would definitely be able and willing to help!

Knepper3

Reaction score
Thanks I can remember the older Stewarts bottles 15 years ago were ACL, I just didnt know what ACL was then. I collected every variety and many duplicates. I know they werent worth anything but I liked the look. Then we moved and I realized I didnt want to pack them all up so I left them. That was when I realized I wanted to wait to collect serious.

I like any glass really, but especially like the color of ACL. Have to figure out whats good or inflated pricing by doing some research as I find them.

Is there a big market for Mason Jars? I dont see much on here, I pick up the older wire jars when I see them but we actually use them for baking item storage (if a common)

botlguy

Reaction score
I can tell you that Fruit Jar collecting is big stuff but can be affordable depending on your taste. "Mason" jars are a category within a category, Mason referring to jars with screw on lids rather than other forms of closure. Fruit Jar collecting can be very rewarding, takes a bit more room than Soda bottles.
jim

Knepper3

Reaction score
Thanks, Just looked up Fruit Jars to get a better idea of what they entail and I think what I like about mason jars really is fruit jars and I just didnt know. Alot to learn, I'm going to head out the the stores again and get some pictures to do some research. My kids are older and I have a study with awards from when they were young. They want us to put them away (They think they are too old) and maybe I'll start filling those up.

SCCH

Reaction score
look up old dump sites in your area and you will supprised on how many there are

:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis