Indian Artifact

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Yall,

I started not to post this because although it was an unexpected discovery, it was not discovered while searching for bottles. A year ago I was a lucky team member that got to help our state archeologist for the Texas Historical Commision search for (and find) one of the battle sites of the Red River Indian Wars of 1874-75. It was the Farnsworth battle of Nov. 6th, 1874. This knife was recovered at the Indian camp where the battle originated. Over 400 artifacts were recovered over an 8 mile running battle. The Indians numbered over 100 and the Cavalry 28. Farnsworth was in full retreat the whole way and lost 2 men killed and 4 wounded. The knife has bone handles, a brass hilt and shield. It along with the other artifacts will be in a local museum when the State is finished with them. Sorry about the History lesson, I just enjoy knowing all I can about anything historical, be it a knife, or a bitters bottle![;)] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Ec88726.jpg

Attachments

• Ec88726.jpg
    Ec88726.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 129

bne74honda

Reaction score
Kelley,

Please do not apologise for the 'history' lesson. I think most folks on this site are interested in collecting not just for collecting's sake. I know I personally collect for the sake of learning history and imagining what life may have been like.....imagining another person using or handling whatever it is that I dig up.

That knife is fantastic and has an equally amazing history. I tend to collect anything that has a history to it, not just bottles. I love old hand tools, but only collect what I find...I don't buy. There doesn't seem to me to be the same......intimacy with the item. I have a number of tools that my Grandfather actually hand made and used...some are all steel. I handle items like that and can feel him using them.

Please post any other interesting finds you discover!

Brian

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Kelley . . .

I agree with Brian. History is the context for these objects we search out. History enriches the experience of collecting just as the objects enrich our understanding of history. They are inextricably related - objects with context - for many of us.

I am certain that the historical background of a bottle (or other find) is not all that important to many collectors. For some, the thrill of their discovery is enough. Perhaps the aesthetics of colorful bottles in a window is enough. This is highly individual, I suppose.

My own feeling is that I am merely the custodian of bottles and other "treasures." What is permanent is what I learn about those treasures. I can lose the bottles, but whatever I can learn and understand about them is mine to the end.

I hope you'll never hesitate to share what you know about the historical background of one of your finds, Kelley. Some (perhaps many) of us are interested.

-----------Harry Pristis [8|]

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All

Kelley, I know that I enjoy reading about discoveries and if you can enlighten us with the history it makes it even better reading. Thanks for sharing with us.

Brian, I do have to ask about your little message to your teenage son, I feel there must be an underlying story?

Harry, I always feel priveledged when I discover a part of history . I enjoy it as much as finding a nugget, sometimes even more. There is just something about it!

Regards Kim

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing the picture of that remarkable knife with us. I'm very interested in the history of my own and others' bottles and artifacts - especially since it was found at the site of an 8 mile pitched battle - gives me goose bumps. I bet that knife was some man's cherished possession. There is so much local history out here in the southwest that never made it into the books - I've been living in NM for 10 years, and I've learned ever so much that they never taught me back in "Yankee school."

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks all for your sentiments. My only regret is that I didn't realize how much I truly love history until about 10 years ago. If I had it to do over again, I'm sure I would be an archeologist instead of a mechanic.[&o] Bluebelle, you are soooo right when you say there is so much local history that people (even the local people) don't know about. And what is sad to me is that I bet it is a small minority of folks that ever step foot inside their local musuem. Well, I'm glad you all enjoyed the post. Believe me... I certainly enjoyed the adventure! [:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hungry Weasel...

Well Kim,

You're not the first to comment on that note. There is no basis is reality for it....he never did carry a weasel there...LOL. BUT, as anyone with a 14 year old son will agree, there is no telling that kid ANYTHING (kinda like me at that age!).

That is a saying attributed to an imaginary race of mountain-dwelling trolls in a novel by Tad Williams. It just seems to suit him so bloody well!

Anyhow, it's better than swearing at the little bugger...

Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler