Large Pontil Bottle/Decanter English? Shaft & Globe? Unusual. Help Identify and Date

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kamdetail

Reaction score
Hello all,
Was referred here by Spirit Bear after Posting this on CW. I found this at a local (East Tennessee) GW thrift store a couple weeks back. What caught my eye was the pontil, then the way it was made, then the extreme amount of honest wear, etc, etc...... I am not too educated on bottles, decanters, jars and so forth, so...any terminology, manufacturing methods, or any education on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
I did a week or so of research on this piece trying to find the same or similar piece online and really got nowhere. Not a one. One thing did jump out at me though, eventually. I found reference to early English "Shaft & Globe" Decanters made as early as the late 17th century. I must say that those I found, although much more elegant, do appear to be made in the same manner as the piece I have. The main differences I noticed were in the rim/lip, the shape of the base, and the pontils I saw were much different.
Can anyone help me with there opinions, guesses or expertise? I have seen and owned many antique glass pieces as old as 100-125 years old and even the most "Used" has had not near 1/2 this amount of wear to the base. Could this possibly be as old as 18th or early 19th century?

The body has 10 vertical ribs on the interior, smooth on the exterior. The neck has 10 vertical ribs on the exterior, smooth on the interior. This creates the arched/curved line where the 2 are joined. It is very thick and heavy. It stands 10-1/2" tall with a 5-1/2" diameter body. The neck is 1-3/4" in diameter. It weighs just under 4 lbs!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 102
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Thanks SpiritBear for recommending us. What you have is in no way related to the "Shaft & Globe pieces. This one appears to be made of lead glass thus the heavy weight. I believe it is a liquor or wine decanter from mid to late 19th century. The wear seems to be somewhat excessive, perhaps from being drug out and in of some smallish area. It's a nice enough piece but not worth a great deal of money as it has, in my opinion, limited collector interest and because of the excess wear.
Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese