Orange Crush with tooled top whittled neck.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
This identical full-page article was published in at least twenty different newspapers in at least twenty different states - all of which appeared between June and August of 1919. Even though there are lots of Orange Crush ads published prior to this, with 1917 being the earliest I have found so far, this particular ad seems to have been the Orange Crush Company's earliest coast-to-coast campaign to promote their product. And even though it doesn't include the names J.M. Thompson, Neil C. Ward, or Clayton J. Howell, it does say ...

"It took many years of investigation and experimenting before the drink you now know was produced."

But whether "many years" means since 1906 or since 1916, I don't know. All I know at present is that I cannot find a document of any type for Orange Crush earlier than 1916.

This particular full-page article is from ...

Orange Crush Story Chicago Tribune June 29, 1919 (3).jpg

Orange Crush Story Chicago Tribune June 29, 1919 (2).jpg

Orange Crush Story Chicago Tribune June 29, 1919.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, here's another one of those Orange Crush bottles from Birmingham, Alabama that's currently on eBay. Its listed as ...

"Buy It Now" $15.00 + $8.00 = $23.00 or "Make Offer"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Crush-OC-bottle-Birmingham-Ala-Alabama-rare-/232307954198

I'm still not sure if these straight-sided bottles were intended for Orange Crush itself or for fruit flavored beverages, but my guess is fruit flavors.

However, because Orange Crush is a fruit based drink itself, as were Lime Crush, Lemon Crush, Strawberry Crush, Grape Crush, etc; then why the need for a specific bottle for other fruit flavors? Or were they perhaps intended for colas? I wish I knew!

Footnote: I can't make out the makers mark or date on this particular bottle, but the green Birmingham bottle I posted a picture of earlier is clearly marked with 3 <(I)> 6 for 1936. Which raises the question again, why would the Birmingham bottler use a straight- sided bottle as late as 1936 when the "Krinkly" bottles had been in circulation since 1920?

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama.jpg

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama Base (2).jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Signed by C.J. Howell ...

12/26/17

Orange Crush Letter 1917 Signed C. J. Howell.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's another Birmingham, Alabama O-C bottle. This one appears to be marked with 9 <(I)> 1 (1931). But I'll be danged if I can find a "Krinkly" bottle from Birmingham.

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama (2).jpg

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama Base.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Well, this isn't as early or in as good of shape as I had hoped to find, but its a start ...

Note: It at least tells us that the Birmingham, Alabama Orange Crush bottler used an amber "Krinkly" bottle. Now all I have to do is find the clear bottle that preceded this one.

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama Amber.jpg

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama Amber ACL.jpg

Orange Crush Bottle Birmingham Alabama Amber Base 1948.jpg

Footnote: The more I look into this the more I am inclined to suspect that the straight-sided O-C bottles from Birmingham were used for other (yet-to-be-determined) brands that the Birmingham bottler bottled - but just what those other non Orange Crush brands might have been, I don't know yet. If I can figure out the Birmingham straight-sided O-C bottles it might shed some light on similar bottles.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is especially for Leon/hemihamton and CreekWalker regarding their straight-sided Binghamton, New York Orange Crush bottles ...

In this first ad notice ...

1. The opening of their new bottling plant

2. The paper label bottle

3. The 11 Frederick Street address

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ New York ~ April 28, 1920

Orange Crush Binghamton Press NY April 28, 1920.jpg

In this next ad notice ...

1. The "Crinkly" bottle*

2. The 11 Frederick Street address

*This is likely when they first started using the "Crinkly" bottle

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ New York ~ July 28, 1921

Orange Crush Binghamton NY The Binghamton Press July 28, 1921.jpg

In this last ad notice ...

1. New Bottling Plant

2. The Prospect, corner Eldridge Street address

3. The "Crinkly" bottle

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ New York ~ February 25, 1922

Note: I have not been able to find an explanation why they built a new plant on Frederick Street in 1920 and then built another new plant two years later at Prospect and Eldridge Street.

Orange Crush Binghamton NY The Binghamton Press Feb 25, 1922.jpg

Footnote:

Ya gotta wonder ...

1. Why they built the second plant in 1922?

2. If they used the paper label bottles for only a single year in 1920?

3. What they did with the 1920 paper label bottles after they started using the "Crinkly" bottles in 1921?

SODABOB

Reaction score
I don't know the date of this picture, nor which of the two Binghamton plants it is, but the bottles appear to be the clear "Crinkly" bottles. Look close at the crates and you'll see they are marked with "Orange Crush / Binghampton Bottling Corp."

Front ...

Orange Crush Binghamton NY front (2).jpg

Back ...

Orange Crush Binghamton NY front back.jpg

Cropped crates ...

Orange Crush Binghamton NY front.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
No specific date was given for this bottle, but the description said ...

1. Its embossed on the base with "Orange Crush Bottling Binghamton, New York"

2. The embossed "Crushy" character is "facing left"

According to Michael Rosman ...

http://www.angelfire.com/yt/soda/Rosman-OC-clear.html

[FONT=&amp]There are however, distinguishing features to these clear bottles which help to classify, categorize and separate these for the ardent collector. I will try to indicate some of these differences - perhaps missing a few, perhaps erring, but here goes again.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The bottle SHAPE itself - unlike the amber bottles, the clear 6, 7 and 8 oz. were of uniform diameter, 2 1/8" (5.5cm)

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] 1) 6oz. - (7 3/4" / 20cm.) print only both sides[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]2) 6oz. - (8 1/4" / 21cm.) print one side, Crushy facing left* other side

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]* (It should be noted that this is the only bottle manufactured by OC in which Mr. Crushy faces LEFT. In all other styles with Mr. Crushy, both amber and clear, he faces right.)[/FONT]

( If I understand Michael Rosman's timeline correctly, it leads me to suspect this Binghamton Orange Crush bottle is a first generation from 1920 )

Orange Crush Binghamton NY Krinkly Crushy Facing Left.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese