B.T. Archer & Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm not sure what qualifies one as a brewer Leon, that information I ran across mentioned he shipped beer by the barrel as well as by the case.
Jim S.

That's what a Agent does. Ship Beer. If you own a Brewery you Brew it. He's just a middle man to Deliver the goods Via Train. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Wish I could've found a bottle like that way back when I was new to the bottle world!

botlguy

Reaction score
That makes some sense Leon but I still have trouble wrapping my head around a middleman having his own bottles made. Seems like he's taking credit for the beer itself. I guess it's no different than the western, and perhaps other locations, putting up whiskey from Kentucky in bottles with their name. Just never thought of it that way.

flyingliger

Reaction score
It's interesting to see that this bottle is not so straightforward to identify. Sandchip, you are correct, I feel fortunate to have found it. I only saw the lip of the bottle sticking out of the sand and was amazed and excited to find it intact. I was literally hanging upside down, wedged between a couple old cypress logs in a big log jam, 35 feet deep in very dark, alligator infested swamp water in South Carolina. It's no real surprise that no one has found it until now. The bottle was interesting enough that I joined this forum to find out the origin of this bottle. Now that I'm here, I look forward to learning more from all you experts out there.

hemihampton

Reaction score
It is odd that his name is embossed on the bottle as all the other Agents I've seen in the past have it on the paper label. But, I also thought it was very odd that this guy GALLAGHER that owned a Grocery store (pic below) in 1870's would have his name embossed on a bottle. I also think it's odd that the 20 or so beer bottles I have from Michigan Saloons have the Saloon owners name embossed on the bottle. LEON. GallagherCloseup.jpg

whittled

Reaction score
Ahh, first name was Branch and he passed away in 1905. You have to get through the OCR errors.

"OBITUARY. Branch T. Archer. Mr. Branch T. Archer died at his resi? dence, No. 112 West Orneo Street, yester? day afternoon after a suddenly acute Ill? ness, though ho had been In falling health for moro than a year. Until re? cently Mr. Archer had been In activo bUBlnoss In Richmond. Ho was born In Powhntan county and began his business career In Petersburg, but joined the Con? federato army nnd served gallantly there? in until he wns taken prisoner. Ho and Mr. John H. Glenn, tho cashier of tho Merchants' National Bank, of this city, were cell-mates In tho Federal military prison at Elmlra, ?,'? Y. He was held there until tho close of tho war. After fnrmlng some years In his native county, Mr. Archer came, to this city and waa engaged In tho retail grocery busi? ness for a number of years with Mr. James B. Kldd, and he subsequently, In partnership with the lato John Booker, conducted the retail grocery firm of Archer & Booker, later on, after the death of Mr, Booker. \ carrying on tho business In his own name. Por a number of years after this ho wns In charge of the Davis photograph gallery. He was In his sixtieth year. In his Industrious business nnd social life In this city and elsewhere ho had made a large circle of friends, and It Is no exaggeration to say that ho held overy. friend he made. Ho maintained a close adherence to his Ideals of truo and high manhood and they woro such as could only win approval of whoever knew him well. Since early manhood ho had boon an earnest member of the Episcopal Church, Tho doath of his only daughter over a year ago gave him a shock from which ho novor fuhy recovered. Ills serious Illness dated from that period. Mr, Archer married Mrs. Marie Davis Stein, of this city. She, with a step? son, Mr. Joseph Stein, and a brother, Mr. E, M. Archer, eurvlvo him. Tho funeral Will take place this evening at half-past five from All-Saint's Church. Mr. William Dinan. Mr. William Dlnan, a prominent and trustworthy locomotive engineer of tho Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, died at his home Thursday morning nt 8:25 o'clock, after a short Illness. The Imme? diate cause of death was blood poison? ing. Ho leaves a wife, two sons and throo daughters, Ho also loaves a brother, Mr. Joseph J. Mansinl, and sister, Mrs. John T. west. Tho many friends who have called to extend their sympathy to tho family In their loss attest th/ high es? teem In whloh ho was hold. Tho funeral will take place to-dav at 6 P. M, from St. Peter's Cathedral. In? terment will be In Mount Calvary Como tery. Following Is a list of the pall? bearers; Activo?J. A. Duffy, John King, P. H. Donahoc, Floyd Parker. Hi V, Bald? win, J. A. Brltton, C. J. Sturkoy and 0, L. Johnson, Honorary?J. XV: Knapp, J. R Gould, H. H. Hart?n, ?. D. Thomas, A. F. Miller. P. J. Griffin, D, C, W. Mc Leod and L, B. Hall. " FROM

flyingliger

Reaction score
Thanks for the obit whittled. That is some very interesting information. One of the things I love about finding artifacts is thinking about the people who made/used the items. This article definitely gives us a window into the life of B.T. Archer!

hemihampton

Reaction score
His middle name was Tanner. Branch Tanner Archer. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger