Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar

Early Islamic Ink Bottle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181027_171017.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	185365
    It was sold under the Roman medicine category, but I was suggested that it may actually be early Islamic and made to hold ink. I had been thinking Mediterranean perfume, myself.

Name:	IMG_20181027_171036.jpg 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	185366
    Yes, it is pontiled. Top is applied to the body.

Name:	IMG_20181027_172754.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	185367
    It's mostly green, though the very base seems aqua. Oddly, the base seems almost applied, itself (it's also badly cracked). It seems to have been rolled onto the body, if that makes sense?

Name:	IMG_20181031_174914.jpg 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	185368
    And then there were two.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Very cool! Any idea how old it might be? I have no idea how one would go about dating something from the Medieval era or before. It's certainly a fascinating piece.

The person I talked to who studies ancient glass said he thinks it's early Islamic period, which puts it in the 7th to 14th centuries A.D. At the same time, though, he said it may be Mesopotamia (which ceased to exist before the Islamic period) in the same sentence as it being possibly from Egypt. He told me he has no real way of dating this because the shape is too unique. The shape is why I wanted it. Hah hah.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    That is one awesome piece of very old glass... I'm no expert but that patina sure looks real to me. You might look on the Saddle flask guy's website. He seems to have more persian glass catalogued than anyone else out there. I don't remember seeing this form though.

http://www.saddleflasks.com/galleries/saddle-flasks/

Jim G

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar

It looks to me to be a candle holder. I am skeptical about these pieces of glass which depend on surface crud to appear old. A dip in some acetone (solvent) may reveal that the candle holder is much more recent than represented. Acetone won't hurt glass, but use in well-ventilated situation.

Saratoga Driver, thank you for the link.

Harry Pristis, I swapped on some to a small spot. While it negatively impacted some of the pretty patina, the whitish decay remained unaffected.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar

What pretty patina would that be? If it dissolved, it is not glass. It is contamination either incidentally adherent or deliberately applied to the candle holder. For a long time, there has been a steady flow from the Middle East of faked early glass, faked by applying nasty-looking film of contaminants to the glass surface.

The same stuff that flakes off these bottles I dug up, particularly the green one, when you scrub them:

Name:	As Dug.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	185479
    If you saw it in person, I think you'd agree it's not a film. I've been in the hobby long enough to see when something is clearly fake (like oils for the pretty rainbow patina) and when probably real (with the mix of the ugly white scaling and the pretty but very fragile metallic patinas). The glass is decomposed slightly, but not etched as by acid. I think it was dug, as for from what period it comes, that is my question.