Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Bottle Master
    Rickets (Ricketts?) was a major English glassmaker. Some of their bottles had their name embossed on the base. A three piece mold is just that, a bottle mold that was comprised of 3 pieces, a one part base that joined around about the shoulder with the other two parts of the mold. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	threepiecemold.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	189610

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Right you are. Henry Ricketts of Bristol in 1821 was granted a patent on a 3-piece mold machine. That machine changed the industry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackASinclair.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	189612 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackASinclairbase.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	189613

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    I hope you do not mind this question. In the 1970's, I dug a number of similar examples of black glass ale, and other, bottles in western Washington State. Also dug a few in SE British Columbia mining country very close to the WA border. Since you state that you bought the bottle, would you mind saying what the purchase price was?

If other diggers and collector want to toss their opinions on value into the discussion I'd be interested in reading those too.

Junior Member New Bottler
    He intended to say "Made on a rickets 3 piece mold".

Senior Member Bottle Master Screwtop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willong View Post
    I hope you do not mind this question. In the 1970's, I dug a number of similar examples of black glass ale, and other, bottles in western Washington State. Also dug a few in SE British Columbia mining country very close to the WA border. Since you state that you bought the bottle, would you mind saying what the purchase price was?

If other diggers and collector want to toss their opinions on value into the discussion I'd be interested in reading those too.
    I got it for about $10, plus tax.
    In all my perplexity's and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
    - Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by willong View Post

I imagine it depends a lot on location. I remember trying to sell these in BC for $1 each a decade or so ago. I never managed to sell a single one. You used to be able to pick them up for pennies at our local recycle resale store, bottle diggers would drop boxes full of them off. They seem to be much less common in the States though. In BC these and similar bottles would make up about 50-75% of intact bottles in a typical turn of the 20th century dump.

I sell them for $1 each at the bottle shows...and definitely don't manage to sell them all. Depending on my mood a lot of them just go back in the hole.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Not to change the subject, but that's a good looking bottle, Harry. Killer embossing around that pontil scar.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    Not to change the subject, but that's a good looking bottle, Harry. Killer embossing around that pontil scar.
    Thanks for the feedback, sandchip. I acquired that bottle in Guyana a good while ago. I had been picking out 1700s bottles from a dealer. I finished with a few dollars still in my pocket. I was out on the street when the dealer chased after me with this bottle in his hand. I was reluctant because the 3pm bottle was too recent, but he talked me into buying it for $15 USD. I'm glad I did.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Man, I wish somebody would chase me down with a bottle like that!