Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member New Bottler

Pepsi Bottle 1956?

I picked this up today at a yard sale for $1.00. I think from the numbers on the bottom it is a 1956 but I am not sure. I know the cap isn't 1956 so I was wondering if it was refilled or a reproduction? The numbers on the bottom are 579 4 856 16. Still a nice bottle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG5521.jpg   CIMG5528.jpg   CIMG5517.jpg   CIMG5533.jpg   CIMG5524.jpg  

CIMG5525.jpg   CIMG5531.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Finder PlaneDiggerCam's Avatar
    I believe the bottle definitely dates to about 1956, but the cap looks 1970s which is definitely odd since it still contains the soda. Hopefully some of the soda experts on here will provide you more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneDiggerCam View Post
    I believe the bottle definitely dates to about 1956, but the cap looks 1970s which is definitely odd since it still contains the soda. Hopefully some of the soda experts on here will provide you more insight.
    I was hoping it was refilled by Pepsi but I didn't think they would have refilled this bottle in the 1970's. I have looked at the cap real close and it does not look used? Who knows.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    It has been refilled. Bottling plants used to do that for people. I know someone that took several cases of the old 40's & 50's bottles in and had them refilled. This was in the 1990's.

Quote Originally Posted by shotdwn View Post
    It has been refilled. Bottling plants used to do that for people. I know someone that took several cases of the old 40's & 50's bottles in and had them refilled. This was in the 1990's.
    Cool, That's great to know, thanks

Senior Member Bottle Master iggyworf's Avatar
    Also anyone with there own bottle caper can refill also.

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    I got a bottle capper, they are common & any new home Micro Brewer would have one so it easily could of been recapped recently & maybe filled with newer Pepsi? Would be easy to do. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Back in 1980 when I was in high school I worked at Kelly's General Store in the town of Iron Bridge in Northern Ontario.
    I used to go through all the cases of 10oz bottles and would pull out the Mountain Dew Hillbilly bottles, old 7-Up and also the older Pepsi. I have a couple of the 1950 era Pepsi bottles in my collection that are refilled with the late 1970's early 1980 caps. I asked Mr Kelly to allow me to fill the cooler just so I could go through the bottles.
    I can't say this was common to find old refills but it certainly happened.
    Thank goodness it did because as a teenager this was how I built my collection (as well as dump diving of course!)

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    Bottles in the factory go through extensive cleaning before refilling to be safe for consumption. not sure how safe it would be for others to fill these bottles. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Master GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    That's a 70s style cap, before they went to the screw on type. I have a ton of them from when I was an addicted Pepsi drinker.

"Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"