Where do you live? And where do you dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pvg_320

Reaction score
Just curious where we're all from - many of you have a location filled out, but a lot do not.

Kansas City area here - town of Olathe. Santa Fe trail supply stop, and one of the older towns in Kansas. Oldest houses still standing probably from late 1850's early 1860s, but the majority of the old houses are from 1870-1900.

Have done one dig in town, and found a cobalt key mold base! Not a good start. Hoping to hit a better site this summer when I have time. My best find so far has been a crude local med dated Jan 18 1881, sticking out of the top layers of a collapsed cellar in the woods.

Anyone else near the Kansas City area? I've got some clients in E Alabama (Opelika), SE Ohio (Gallipolis), New Hampshire (Laconia), and Maryland (Clinton) that I may travel to in the next 6 months, so interested in hearing from anyone in those areas as well - I would really enjoy helping out on a dig.

Pontiled

Reaction score
I'm in God-forsaken Henderson, North Carolina, about 20 miles south of the Great State of Virginia! Yep, we will move back to Virginia as soon as the house has a buyer. Three bedrooms, 2 full baths, and everything else you cvan imagine, sitting on 3/4 acres with a huge pond out back, and no one seems interested or they can't afford it!

Been digging since the mid-1960's, written many books on the hobby as well as numerous articles, and provide informational service to museums. My specialty is bottles from the Civil War period (1861-1865).

So, how about it out there?

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hey Pontiled sounds like you "love" where you live...lol..just kidding..I am in Sounthern Illinois, very rural area, nearest "big" town is Carbondale, where the university is, about 60 miles away..I started digging in the 80's..I am new to this area, we have not been out too much yet...also the rain, and tornados are keeping us near to the house..can't wait to explore this whole area...keep al the pics coming guys, it is helping me a lot...thanks! [:D]

Pontiled

Reaction score
Susanne and Julie, you're both in some good areas to dig, it's the "finding" the spots to dig and getting permission to dig. I used to go up to Jamestown, N.Y., to dig an old town dump (many good memories of that) and the rural areas around Jamestown. Down in Good Old Virginia, I've dug many Civil War sites that were quite productive. Hang in there and tell us what you find! By the way, it's absolutely great to see 2 young ladies digging. Now, if I can get my other daughter interested, I'd be a happy Dad.

luvtodig

Reaction score
Pontiled..thank-you for the "young lady" tag[:D] wish I was[;)] in my heart yes! I got my 20 year old daughter intrested in bottle digging when she was just a little one, her and her brother went with us everywhere..we dug in Wash state..it was quite a education for my kids growing up..my daughter still loves old things, and would go out in a heartbeat to dig today..so hang in there with your girls, hopefuly they will learn to love it too[;)] I have been doing research here, maps and such, soon I hope we will be able to get out there and get dirty[8D] take care!

David Osborn

Reaction score
Omaha Nebraska, no diggers here besides my intended and myself that i know of. I have lots of old bottles displayed in my used bookshop to get the old-timers motivated to talk about the dumps and sites. I do ravines, hills, abandoned areas. I also do artwork on commission if anyone wants to look ! -Dave (and Terri) PS: That isn't Terri ! :)

Ki18998.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll, I'm from North Texas. What they call the panhandle. We don't have too much to dig around here that is pre 1875. Me and my diggin buddie have been working an Indian Wars Military site off and on for a couple of years. I did spend 3 of my 46 years down in South Mississippi but unfortunately at that particular time of my life, all I had on my mind was football and girls![;)] A bottle was just a convienant way to drink a beverage. [:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hey Kelley, you weren't near Biloxi, Miss., were you? I spent a year there while in uniform. That place has certainly changed!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I wasn't too far from Biloxi. I used to go to both Biloxi, and Gulfport to the beach in the summer. I lived in a map dot called Ellisville. It was between Hattisburg and Laurel. It was in Jones County which during the Civil War was a seperate state in the union (I was told.) I never researched that out as I was a 15 year old transplanted Texan and didn't know, or care squat about history at that time! (Oh the mistakes we make at a tender age[&o] ) Maybe you or someone knows if that was true? Thanks, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen