1000s of Buried Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Well, the first bottles i ever found were at a dump near a river....Before I got through with it, there were refrigerators, all kinds of large appliances, barbed wire, fencing, a car, etc. I pulled all the big stuff out with my truck. (Including an entire 1952 ford customline) Well I had pulled out about 200 bottles just off the surface and there is so much broken glass everywhere. I just decided to leave it for a while but today I got in the mood to go see how many were buried. GOD there are thousands....Its overwelming, actually. I cant figure out an efficeint way to dig it all up...The picture is just the middle section of the monster ditch this dump is in....The only thing is there is a lot of worthless bottles....about 70%....every shovel full is more glass than dirt.....It makes everything go VERY slow....It took me 2 hours to just dig up an 3' x 3' x 3/4' deep hole. But i pulled all of the bottles pictured out PLUS about 20 more that werent worth taking home....Nothing spetacular, yet, but ive been finding broken milkbottles and lots of broken embossed bottles so hopefully i will get some more intact.....Crazy how all that came out of such a small hole....and the whole area is like that.....any tips on making this faster besides "just keep digging"? haha....

Also i found among the broken bottles a soda called NEHI and a whiskey bottle from scotland with "house of the lords" embossed on it....If i find some good ones, are they worth anything?

Rp42214.jpg

Attachments

• Rp42214.jpg
    Rp42214.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 76

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
my 4 favorites of the batch - a cobalt blue "geniune phillips milk of magnesia tablets", a 1 pint ball perfect mason full with the original cap AND rubber seal, A medicine bottle that had a local doctors info on it, and 2 identical shaped bottles one with purex embossed on it and i cant read the other one yet but it starts with an R. By the way there are phone numbers on the medicine bottle office - 66F11 and home - 66F12....I dont understand how those are phone numbers do you?

Ur52045.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52045.jpg
    Ur52045.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 69

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
like i said nothing spectacular but its a real good sign for as little digging as i did! I'm excited to see how deep it goes because we all know the best bottles are on the bottom [:D]

Tony14

Reaction score
I just found two of those exact rawleighs. Go into my previos post, Great Surface Finds, for info on that bottle if you want it.

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Thanks i got a question answered before i even asked it. I just keep thinking about how ill be digging this place for at least a month. I better find some REALLY good stuff or im gonna go find the former owner (its city property now) and yell "IF YOUR GONNA POLLUTE THEN DO IT WITH SOME TASTE FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!! THIS JUNK IS FOR TRASH PICK-UP NOT FOR BOTTLE DIGGERS TO PICK UP!!!! THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!" [:D]

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Well im starting to do preliminary cleaning on these and i found out it doesnt say purex it says pinex in cursive....Whats pinex? I love it when you clean bottles and find that they are embossed with something once you get the dirt off....

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
well im off to that dump again....though no one seems to care about this post....thats okay though ill post any cool stuff later when i get back.....wish me luck

madman

Reaction score
hey razor, ive dug a similar dump, you know what to do dig deep !!! bet youll find the 1900s stuff if you hit clay try to probe it ive found many layers near rivers good luck mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4