12 oz Pepsi Cola acl bottle - St Johns Newfoundland

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
just came across this one on ebay , not the 7 up bottle I though might exist from there but a locally marked pepsi cola bottle . never seen it before either

its from a local bottler called " Browning Harvey Limited " which operated in St Johns Newfoundland and still appears to be bottling pepsi today .

the bottle is an older pepsi bottle from the late 1940's , 12oz , seller refers to it as a double dot bottle . condition is ok but missing some paint and colour .

lots of odd markings - " St John NFLD " in white paint on back neck , " Browning Harvey Limited " St Johns Newfoundland , Pepsi Cola co NY " on back

also has a duraglass marked bottom , common in US but not in Canada , appears to indicate its from 1946 . newfoundland didn't join Canada until 1949 so appears bottle is from a couple years before that .

pepsicola-newfoundland.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland1.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland2.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland2.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland3.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland4.jpg
pepsicola-newfoundland5.jpg

RCO

Reaction score

A similar business was operated by a competitor, G. Browning & Sons. In 1931, the firms amalgamated with Gerald Harvey and James Crawford as joint managing directors. Gerald Harvey was succeeded by his brother, Reginald, and when Mr. Crawford retired from management a few years after, Reginald continued as president and managing director until he passed away in 1957. In 1931, Browning Harvey Limited opened a small bottling plant adjacent to the west end biscuit factory and started to bottle Browning Harvey flavours.

In 1944, Reginald C. Harvey obtained a Pepsi-Cola Franchise from the Pepsi Company in New York. A few years later a Suncrest flavor franchise was obtained from the Stutz family of Toronto.

In 1951 a modern one million dollar bottling plant was built on the east corner of Mill Lane and Water Street. Sales grew fast.

A larger, more modern plant was built on Ropewalk Lane in 1963. This present plant is 140,000 sq. ft. with the most up-to-date bottling equipment in the world.

RCO

Reaction score
John Patten's grandfather signed franchise in 1944, before province part of Canada
Meghan McCabe · CBC News · Posted: Jun 27, 2019 8:38 PM NT | Last Updated: June 27, 2019
Pepsi has been in Newfoundland longer than the island has been a part of Canada.

John Patten's grandfather went to New York to sign the franchise agreement back in 1944, and the family continues to operate the Browning Harvey business based in St. John's.

"The Harveys always made the soda crackers on Water Street East, and the Brownings made the fancy biscuits on Water Street West, so when they merged in 1931, we moved up to Water Street West, up on Mill Road. From that point, I guess we moved from making biscuits, to table syrup, to soft drinks," said the company's president.

Patten said the families were always entrepreneurs. Pepsi was really growing at that time, and with so many Americans on the island for the Second World War it was a "prosperous" endeavour — then and now, although Patten would not disclose how much Pepsi they sell in the province.

"We sell what we need to sell to meet the market demand. It's good

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Interesting, locally marked Pepsis aren't common from Canada. I'm not sure I can think of any others. Though like you said Newfoundland wasn't in Canada yet at that point.

Ashleyee

Reaction score
What does the symbol on the bottom of glass in center signify, if I may ask?

Ashleyee

Reaction score
Ok. I see. It is duraglass mark. Looked like a masonic symbol. Neat.

RCO

Reaction score
Interesting, locally marked Pepsis aren't common from Canada. I'm not sure I can think of any others. Though like you said Newfoundland wasn't in Canada yet at that point.

there is a number of paper labels that exist though , I can think of a few but acl bottles I can only recall them saying pepsi cola montreal of them

maybe before 1949 ( when newfoundland joined Canada ) maybe it was common practice to mark anything there as being from newfoundland ?

although I can't think of any coca cola's marked st john's , but have seen an acl Canada dry bottle that is marked st johns

RCO

Reaction score
i checked if the seller had already sold any other bottles and they had sold a couple mostly newfoundland bottles , one was a 30 oz Canada Dry bottle marked

Purity Factories Ltd - St John's Newfoundland , By authority of Canada dry international New York

canadadry30ozNF.jpg
canadadry30ozNF.jpg

canadadry30ozNF1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler