17xx with applied seal?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I would also agree with Dutch in origin the form of the bottle is similar to other attributed Dutch Black Glass bottles. A picture of the base would also help with attribution.

Chris

epackage

Reaction score
I never consider them European...[8D]

and I need to know what the hell that first word could be ...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Donner

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far! I can take the picture of bottom tomorrow. I found the bottle from seashore very shallow water when fishing a while ago. Badly, It was empty when found it, I could have used a drink of brandy after digging it away from freezing mud. I guess european it is definitely, no one else has been so crazy to sail or sea here close sweden. Dutch can also be right since there has been marine traffic around for hundreds of years. Funny how it started suddenly bother me and i seek for the internet, I will try to also get more letters cleared to that PY word. Found some pictures and shape look like 17xx bottles. Maybe I go snorkeling after waters warm at summer here in deep north, If I can find one with cap on [8D]

Topusmc

Reaction score
Found the seal "PYRMONT WATER" located: PYRMONT, a town of Lippe in Germany, in the circle of Westphalia.
Description of Pyrmont-Water (1802)
Pyrmont-Water, a celebrated mineral spring, discovered at Pyrmont, in the Circle of Westphalia. It is of an agreeable, though strongly acidulated taste, and emits a large portion of gas; which affects the persons who attend at the well, as well as those who drink the fluid, with a sensation somewhat resembling that produced by intoxication. Pyrmont-water may be advantageously used in all cases of debility, where the constitution re quires an active tonic, which at the same time does not excite a permanent heat; in bilious vomiting ; diarrhoea ; and other affections of the alimentary canal; and, when mixed with milk, in cases of the gout. It increases the secretion of urine, and sometimes occasions a temporary eruption of the The dose varies according to circumstances, and the nature of the patient's complaint ; but, in general, the quantity to be taken should not exceed three pints per day.—We have given this brief account of the Pyrmont-water ; as it is not only imported into Britain, but also often artificially prepared in the metropolis. [/align]

BDD23B80402644DCA40513816B23A4B1.jpg

Attachments

• BDD23B80402644DCA40513816B23A4B1.jpg
    BDD23B80402644DCA40513816B23A4B1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 70

epackage

Reaction score
Now I'm really confused as to why the Germans would be using the word water in the 1700's instead of wasser...[8|]

epackage

Reaction score
I guess if they were sending it to England and elsewhere it was good marketing back then....

Plumbata

Reaction score
Awesome bottle! I hope you can go back and find some more; that bottle is probably worth a good amount.

"
Artifical mineral waters, nowadays usually called 'soft drinks', 'soda' or 'fizzy drinks', have their origins in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and grew out of the demand for the natural mineral waters which had supposedly health-giving properties. For many centuries natural mineral waters were sold at 'spa' health resorts in Britain and the continent. Bottled natural mineral waters were imported in large quantities into Britain from the continent, from towns such as Pyrmont[/b] and Pouhon-in-Spa, from the early or mid 18th century onwards."

Also, check out the reference to Pyrmont water bottles (dating from 1720-1770, with your variety being a later example) by one of my favorite authors and archaeologists ever to grace this earth; Ivor Noel Hume:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-DCyLQP8y08C&pg=PA61&lpg=PA61&dq=pyrmont+water+bottle&source=bl&ots=9PxQqdRIZM&sig=QSt3mFndJyZUqyK7PDICd-dVE1g&hl=en&ei=hlnYTY6oIMyftge_7fnoDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=pyrmont%20water%20bottle&f=false

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
A really nice example of a Pyrmont Water bottle. The water was from continental Europe, with a big market in Britain (which is why there's English writing on the seal: the bottle was made for the English speaking market).

They turn up in England from time to time. Although the detached seals are relatively common it's a rare bottle in good condition, and sought after by early glass collectors.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause