1807 Large Cent

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
There are several ways to clean it. I would start with a toothpick to see how much crud comes off. Hot soapy water and a toothbrush works well also and won't damage the coin. And last you could heat up(not boiling) some peroxide in the microwave and let it soak for a few minutes. I would try that on a less important coin first. If the coin has been pitted by being in the ground for so long the the peroxide will only make it worse

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm pretty sure these coins have no numismatic value so there's not much to loose. The corn was cut yesterday so now I just have to wait for the beans and maybe we can get plowing.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
its funny , the coppers from the 1790s are pretty valuable in just about any shape but just a few years later and they don't have much value at all in low grade.
What a difference a revolution makes :)

antiqueitaly

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

As it rained pretty good Monday I stopped by Stonetown yesterday and pulled my fifteenth large cent from there (one of my scouts owns one). As you can see the ground was not kind to them but the 1807 in the middle was a cool find since besides the counterfeit half-penny its the oldest one and my first draped bust coin find and we believe Stonetown was built around 1805. Since these have little more than historical value I would love suggestions on how to make them more readible. On most coins the first thing to go is the date but on yesterday's find the date was about the only thing I could make out. Some of them have pretty good detail except where some crud is covering the date. I'm not complaining but you would think with all the copper coins found, there would be more silver recoveries than two 1820 dimes - where is the silver?

81E97DD1375A41B4B6015026AF132A94.jpg
nice!!!!

NHkeith

Reaction score
A). just soak in Olive oil for a few days. using a q tip/tooth pick to get the major gunk off.

I have used Hot peroxide on copper coins. (mostly indians heads) it removes the corrosion. but can destroy a coin if you leave it to long. heat the Peroxide in the microwave, drop your coin in, flip and turn it a few times, you should see bubbling of the corrosive material .

Then use a little olive oil on the coin to give it a NOT dry look. (leaving the coin too long in hot peroxide can dry it out)

Plumbata

Reaction score
I third the hot peroxide suggestion. H2O2 is an unstable compound so heating to boiling would likely just break down too much of the peroxide. Depending on how long you intend to treat them I'd maybe avoid the microwave and heat on "low" or "warm" on the stovetop, or ideally a hotplate, in order to maintain a constant temperature. The coppers from fertilized fields can be really corroded, but a number of those coins look like they would clean up very well. If you can already see pitting and heavy corrosion on some right now I'd just leave them alone and work on the nicer ones. Very nice finds BTW.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Found #16 today an 1816, the first year of this design. I'll try some of the suggestions and post the results, thanks again guys.

AFF121ED9BE54CA29446B255DCA58A79.jpg

Attachments

• AFF121ED9BE54CA29446B255DCA58A79.jpg
    AFF121ED9BE54CA29446B255DCA58A79.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 74

creeper71

Reaction score
And last you could heat up(not boiling) some peroxide in the microwave and let it soak for a few minutes. I would try that on a less important coin first. If the coin has been pitted by being in the ground for so long the the peroxide will only make it worse
this would be the correct methed to clean..all the top coin collectors an dealer use it...

mf150

Reaction score
Cleaning or altering the original surface of a coin destroys any value that coin may have. I'm an ANA life member and have collected and invested in coins since I was a child. Leave the coins as-is. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn