Oldest coin found with metal magnet so far

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

smith382

Reaction score
People in the metal detector hobby sometimes soak copper coins in olive oil to try to loosen surface dirt and minerals stuck to the surface. It might work in this case, but it couldn't hurt, the coin's value as a collectable coin won't exceed five cents, but the coin has a great story.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Just an FYI: Actually, the correct term for your coin is "ferrous", meaning "made of or containing iron". Magnetic refers to the property of magnets that causes iron to be attracted to them and any iron object can be magnetized. Nickel, the metal, is non-ferrous and therefore not attracted to magnets. Nickels (5 cent coins), however do not have to be made of Nickle, ( U.S. nickles are exceptions) and often contain iron. This includes Canadian coins.

IF coins were "magnetic" they would attract each other and stick together. They would also stick to anything with sufficient iron content, like your car and be a real pain in the butt...LOL
Older Canadian nickels do not have any iron in them, they were made of nearly pure nickel. The US nickels don't stick to magnets because they only contain 25% nickel. For a couple decades Canada used the same 75% copper alloy that the US uses for its nickels and ours made at that time don't stick to magnets either. The term you're thinking of is ferromagnetic, which does not exclusively refer to iron and includes metals like nickel and cobalt which will stick to a magnet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism

RCO

Reaction score
Nice detecting, in midland I metal detected the shoreline/wharfs last year finding many american coins but hardly Canadian coins, must of been durning the summer more Americans on the waterfront than Canadians from the steamships landing from Chicago, etc.

never really found any older american coins here although i'm sure there is some , there not magnetic either so wouldn't find them with the magnet .

i think in the past was more american tourists coming into our area than is now days , my parents can recall seeing US plates from a wide variety of states on an endless numbers of cars downtown here decades ago during the summers

RCO

Reaction score
Older Canadian nickels do not have any iron in them, they were made of nearly pure nickel. The US nickels don't stick to magnets because they only contain 25% nickel. For a couple decades Canada used the same 75% copper alloy that the US uses for its nickels and ours made at that time don't stick to magnets either. The term you're thinking of is ferromagnetic, which does not exclusively refer to iron and includes metals like nickel and cobalt which will stick to a magnet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism

is a period of time mid 80's > 90's i don't find canada nickels from as there not magnetic

never found a US nickel with it

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis