1840s yard hit two 1880 pits????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Looks like great potential, pd. What kind of "bug bottle" did you get?

Rocky, I have found privies literally attached to the rear of homes. It can be anywhere from 0'-80' back, or to the sides. It also depends on prevailing wind directions and proximity to neighbors. Reeking outhouses were commonplace; not all users applied lime when needed.

woodswalker

Reaction score
Thanks Jim....Next time I will take a bigger shovel lol....there are 2 possible spots I've got in mind to try next....most the ground around is real hard clay and then there is one section where it looks like someone filled something in with a lot of loose dirt and stone....gonna probe that spot next...its only about 10 feet off the back steps tho.....plus on the other side looks like theres a cellar whole that could have possible been another back door....but thats all down hill on that side.....hmmmm....my work is cut out for me but I know the goods are there.....[:D] and I have until the next hunting season opens to do it with out getting caught!!!!

rockbot

Reaction score
Sorry to bomb your thread privvydigger with my question.

The problem with the property I'm working on is that the house has a front door only and off to the left is another abandoned house. There is a more modern outhouse in the front yard with a small 6'x6' slab and modern plumbing. Looks like they modernized with a cespool in the 70's.

Would you think the old outhouses would be up front too?

Aloha, Rocky

privvydigger

Reaction score
Well, it was a small 3 by 4 stone liner shallow and had a broken colored soda from Tamaqua in it.
we probed out the next... i was drenched through out when it poored. You know I don't mind the heat but having to dig next to a pool full of young beauties all day was almost all I could bare. pics tonight of the bottles.......lol

privvydigger

Reaction score
went back up after it rained and i got cleaned up. I think there are going to be several crude outhouses here. by todays dig and how crude the shallow stone walls were i'm feeling that in several areas. Buddy gave me room in the shed to store my stuff. I'll bring the camera tomorrow if only to see Anthony's garden. I really thought I was gardening......far cry but that'll change next year....he's got the green thumb.....well lots of pilot holes tomorrow. keep you informed.....great to be back

privvydigger

Reaction score
did 4 test holes each had possibilities. the second produced a broken piece of a P. SHARKEY MAUCH CHUNk. Tired early so we'll spend another day looking tomorrow

lizard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: privvydigger

Well I finally got out and had some fun. I'm in a premo spot, don't get any older. Of course we never hit the old one first but thats alright. First pit had tons of really nice masons...old ones all broke.....two really nice pieces of pottery and a green gargling oil and a st jacobs, also a broken rare pony and two broken Seitz blob tallboys. and 3 inks
2nd hole had 5 hosteters broken Baltimore md. bug bottle really cool broken, 5 Seitz tallboy blobs broken, 3 local meds 2 broken, everything good was broke but i probed three more and am doing it tomorrow. I have two further away from the house and one more closer. i'm done so i'll post pics tomorrow of all the keepers. oh it was a big applied tooled top McCormicks bug bottle big bee on it ever hear of it

On that McCormick bottle with the bee. One of McCormick brand names. “Bee Brand†used that for a logo. McCormick mainly dealt in spices and extracts but at one time all so had a cool little tri-cornered cobalt blue poison in which they sold Laudanum. Laudanum was an opium/alcohol mix for pain. It was very addictive.

EE60B39B531240C999294AEE559C5A44.jpg

Attachments

• EE60B39B531240C999294AEE559C5A44.jpg
    EE60B39B531240C999294AEE559C5A44.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members