1860s/70's schoolhouse QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi guys its Jake, recently I was doing some research and discovered that a one room schoolhouse was built near we're I live. The schoolhouse was built around the late 1860s and continued to be one intell 1955/6 when it was sold and later torn down. The schoolhouse sat on a triangular like peice of land with roads on either side. The school property was owned by mr.White who built his house across the road from the school in 1850. Would there have been a on site outhouse for the school? Or would the children have to use mr Whites outhouse which when you think of it would be a little weird . And did schoolhouses have privy dumps or a place to dump bottles and trash? Any tips or answers would be great! Thanks and have a good week! -Jake

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
most likely a double privvy, back to back ( girls & boys ). won't be far from the building, usually around back. problem is, whatcha gonna find? if you're lucky, maybe some inks..... usually not so much.......

good luck,

jim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Yeah I always thought the same thing about school house privys. Since they didn't stay there all day and it was only one room.How much stuff could they have brought with them? and why toss it down the pit. The house is the best bet.I would go for that.
Unless you just dig the school house to erase all doubt.[:D]

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
Schoolhouses can be VERY good places to dig privy's. While little Suzie might not have brought bourbon or bitters to school, these school houses were often gathering places for public events such as town meetings, plays, and other events and included of a wide cross section of people. The privy's can be loaded with alcohol, medicines, and bitters...I could have used a drink during one of my kid's parent teacher conferences. If it is 1860s, I would be all over it!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: westernglassaddict

Schoolhouses can be VERY good places to dig privy's. While little Suzie might not have brought bourbon or bitters to school, these school houses were often gathering places for public events such as town meetings, plays, and other events and included of a wide cross section of people. The privy's can be loaded with alcohol, medicines, and bitters...I could have used a drink during one of my kid's parent teacher conferences. If it is 1860s, I would be all over it!

That does sound good. I just did a search to see if anyone has ever scored on a school house pit on this forum and could not find anything. Maybe I searched wrong.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau