1860s Perfume?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I personally know the man I bought it from, and he told me that he had dug it in an "1860s hole." I had been down at the flea market today--picked up some cool stuff including a Nazi stamp and a Nazi coin for furthering my Nazi collection (No, I'm not a Nazi.) I had even passed this bottle up the first time around. The man at the booth I had bought from before but has mostly common stuff from 1900 on. I did get the perfume bottle seen here from him, though. But I always go around places twice, and I did that today. And the man from the bottle club was there-- I keep running into him around town. It's rather amusing. So I asked him about the bottle, and I questioned its age. He told me that all he dug out of the hole was 1860s, so I believe him. So I get the price of $5 knocked off to $1 by his partner, from whom I had before bought and was remembered by with favor (as everyone inevitably must favor bears.[:D])
Taped%2Bon%2Blabel%2B036.JPG
Taped%2Bon%2Blabel%2B031.JPG
Side.Leaves are sunken into the bottle at first but are embossed.
Taped%2Bon%2Blabel%2B030.JPG
We had agreed that this isn't a pontil, but what is it? I'm interested in how they made the bottle with this little dot sunken in. Patina. It won't scrub off. Bottle.Pic of top (it's all there but has a 'flash' or 'bruise' in it) came out blurry, but it looks like, from the inside by my eye and using a tool to feel it, it was applied.Final pic-- none of which do it justice. So what do you all think? When I first picked it up, I thought it was 1890s. Anyone have one with original label?

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice little cologne. I'd guess 1880s. Not sure about the dot. It might have been to help keep the molten bottle in place when they opened the mold.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward