Inherited bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

b.williams0454

Reaction score
I recently inherited a bottle collection from my Uncle. As I go through it I am in hopes to post here and learn more about them. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to sit down with him and learn about them all. He taught me some things about bottles and where/how to find sites. We all wish there was just a little more time with the ones we have lost.

This bottle did stick out when he had them all on display. I believe he said pre-1900. I am not sure if he purchased this one or actually dug it up. There were very few maybe 2-3 that he purchased over the years the rest was pulled from the ground by his own hands in the southeastern Virginia area. Let me know what you guys think, and I look for to photographing and posting the collection as I go through them.

Also any tips to displaying them safely would be awesome. I am kinda nervous about displaying them and somehow they get knocked over. These are priceless to me knowing that he was the one to pull them from the ground.

Thanks!
-Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPEG
    IMG_0570.JPEG
    241 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0571.JPEG
    IMG_0571.JPEG
    254.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0572.JPEG
    IMG_0572.JPEG
    187.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0573.JPEG
    IMG_0573.JPEG
    168.4 KB · Views: 135

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, that's a beauty! It's from well before 1900, I'd guess 1850s-ish. These are referred to as historical flasks, I don't know much about them but I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you more. I suspect this is one of the ones he purchased, doesn't look like it's ever been buried.

Fenndango

Reaction score

saratogadriver

Reaction score
somewhere 1820-1850, probably closer to the former then the latter as the urn form seems to have been popular pretty early. Looks like an Urn on one side and an eagle on the other. I'd need a real good look at the embossing to be able to match it to a McKearin number, which is what the GII... is above. The ring on the base is from a blowpipe pontil. The bottle was attached at the base to a blowpipe while the maker finished the lip. If dug an exceptional find for a dug bottle and very nice even if purchased.

Jim G

Mudbug

Reaction score
Very nice historical flask as others stated and a nice color to boot.
To display these type flasks, is to use felt or other sticky thingies at points on the bottom to stabilize it best. If it has any rocking to it, this is a must to do……. don’t ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen