1977 Find of a Lifetime

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BigJock

Reaction score
It was 1977 august, myself and angelo Maloco got sole permission to empty Gilbert Rae Lemonade works was in operation from 1868-1948, the building was a typical old Victorian building as seen on their large tin signs, we hunted high and low for ginger beers with no luck ,so Angelo searched inside and all that was inside was Pattisons whisky jugs green topped with a conical shape,hundreds of different patents all on stacked shelves various types of stoppers, I was digging into the floor of an old part of the boiler house when hit metal plates on floor I manage to lifet one and it was like Alladin finding his treasure there was rows and rows of Ginger beers all green tops and red tops and blue tops all different companies as well as Gilbert Rae GBs and Guiness stouts, within an hour I dug out 1800 bottles and 90% were mint,50% still had original ginger in them..after we loaded what was there to take to a safe place we returned to old works and started to see what else there was ,,signs of metal and card, paperwork everything that a lemonade works would have,, it was as if we were in just after workers had left, they had an 1906 Mercedes Lorry, and a 1903 truck to deliver the lemonade, there was horses harness etc as well as Gilber Rae doing lemondade sodas in coloured syphons he was an inventer as well he invented a TamoShanter bicycle, and numerous other things we had a whole week to empty the building as demolishers were knocking it all down..grand total of 3000 ginger beers with Green tops,1800 Edwards patent
Hamiltons, coloured and aqua,,Guiness stouts 3with green tops other GBS with red tops, whisky jugs,, enamel signs, tin signs,was the best month of my life we manage to still dig about after demolishers left,,

The company of Gilbert Rae, aerated water manufacturers, was established around 1868 or 1869. The company was based at the Baldridge Works, Dunfermline, Scotland, but had branches in Alloa, Scotland, Falkirk, Scotland and Portobello, Scotland.
Gilbert Rae manufactured the following goods: ginger beer, ginger ale, ginger champagne (original introducer), sparkling ginger, lemonade, kola, potash water, seltzer water and lithia water. All of these were available in screw–method, glass–stoppered and corked bottles. Potash, soda and seltzer were also available in bottles and siphons.

x.gif
scroll down for more info

x.gif

Gilbert Rae claimed to be the inventor of a number of appliances. He was the inventor of an appliance for the extraction of air from the water before carbonating, as well as the inventor and patentee of a germ–preventing syrup–filling appliance, a screw–top siphon bottle for the dinner table and a steam–power cork filling machine.

epgorge

Reaction score
Big Jock,
What was the total take in $$ on all that booty?

Joel

appliedlips

Reaction score
You were actually excited about finding a bunch of turn of the century English ginger beers?In my opinion they lack any character and cannot believe people collect them.In a country that had glass and stoneware for hundereds if not thousands of years it would seem these would be considered "new".I see pics of guys in England,Scotland,etc. digging them by the hundreds,seems like the British answer to Bromo-Seltzer's.If you have dug anything old and interesting,I would love to see some pics.No,Codds aren't old either!Anything made after 1900 is pretty worthless,if you ask me.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
Hey!! No fair comparing english beer to Bromos. Bromos rock and you can still buy the tablets today!!
I can't imagine moving 4800 bottles.?.?. interesting "story"
You sure have quite a memory

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's a great story... reminds me of the time we dug the old Kilmer plant out in Binghamton. Its amazing no one thought to dig there before. We found a chest with 666 bottles of Dr Kilmer's Catarrh Cure mint with labels and contents. I have been selling one bottle every five years as to not bring down the value. We even found Dr Kilmer's body in an amazing state of preservation still sitting at his desk clutching a pen. We didnt disturb the body due to our reverence for the old man.

epgorge

Reaction score
We even found Dr Kilmer's body in an amazing state of preservation still sitting at his desk clutching a pen. We didnt disturb the body due to our reverence for the old man

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

You had up til that..... I thought you pretty honorable to only sell one every five years so's not to hurt the value. Talk about gullible.

Joel

SergioWilkins

Reaction score

Sounds absolutely amazing to me... but this coming from a noobie in Ontario, who's never dug a dump older than the turn of the century, and who still has an appreciation for the history of these things. It's not all about the aesthetics. There's more to it than that.
As far as I'm concerned, anything with a cork top is an awesome find.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles