1st Post 1st Flea Market Buy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Just purchased my first 2 bottles at a local flea market this past weekend.

I decided to put my metal detector aside last month when I stumbled upon a few huge trash pits with 100's of bottles just laying on the ground. Now Im digging, collecting, selling, and just recently buying.
I have a table at a local flea market and I noticed 2 new guys setting up a table with bottles. By the time I got there there was a crowd of other sellers looking at them. I quickly glanced and grabbed the best 2 bottles I could see for $5 each.
Im very new to this hobby, but feel I got a great deal and I will be looking for these guys again real soon.

My pics are too large to post so Ill try to describe them as easily as possible.

The 1st bottle is an X-Zalia medicine bottle, clear, applied top, with full paper labels intact (why i bought it)
the reverse has an embossed seal of cat of nine tails, made in boston.
Its not in my bottle book, but I see one listed on ebay for around $20 without a label.
I really like this bottle. X-Zalia was a cure all, snake oil, medicine that cured anything from herpes, blood poisoning to dandruf. My question is, how much more value does a bottle with a full paper label intact bring?

My seconond bottle is an amber colored beer bottle, id say early 1900's, it has a smiling sun embossed, and made by obermeyer and liebman (i think) in New York. This is also not in the bottle book. The only other one I can find on internet search is a museum piece! Im trying not to get too excited because Im sure it cant be that rare.

Pics to come...any help on posting them?

Reaction score
X Zalia

15B9ED5E2D3843AD87093E427AC4F8F9.jpg

Attachments

• 15B9ED5E2D3843AD87093E427AC4F8F9.jpg
    15B9ED5E2D3843AD87093E427AC4F8F9.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My pics are too large to post so Ill try to describe them as easily as possible.
Crop first and then re-size. That's the problem with all these 6-12MP cameras today. Most don't even have a web setting now.
I like 800X600 myself and many times a crop is good enough.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Posting-pictures%2C-making-links/m-383099/tm.htm

beendiggin

Reaction score
Nice job posting the pics, they look great. Two nice bottles for five apiece, you can probably do better on e bay with those. Labels add some value for sure, it depends though. I generally figure it adds five to twenty depending on the value of the bottle in the first place.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2