20's - 30's era dump found in the woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this stuff on Friday night , had poked around this wooded area in town . not really any reason to suspect there'd be anything there as its not really near anything and wouldn't of been that easy to get to . but I had found glass on the hillside before

I followed the broken glass up the hill and eventually started to find more stuff until I got to the main area which wasn't really that big . bugs were bad and being Friday night I didn't likely find everything so will go back at some point

mostly a lot of broken stuff , some glass jars , condiment bottles , liquor , beer bottles , blue glass cup , green bottles

couple not broken bottles - condiment bottle , perfume , white " ponds jar " , mini glass jar

also a broken clear dominion glass soda bottle with no name , small part of a broken " lankin " soda bottle which if you remember my earlier post is a 20's - 30's era soda from Huntsville Ontario

most interesting item was a damaged coca cola hobbleskirt from 20's I think , no date or city on it . semi aqua in colour , " trade mark registered " on front and min contents 6 fl oz on back , found a lot of coca cola over the years but don't have this one or ever found one in good condition

20210807_111904.jpg
20210807_114332.jpg

DSC04244.JPG

DSC04245.JPG

DSC04249.JPG

DSC04253.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
i went back friday , didn't really find much , a lot of broken stuff which seems to be liquor bottles , glass jars , clear bottles , green bottles , smaller screw top bottle all from the early 30's era

more parts of a broken " lankin " soda bottle

20210815_105339.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
also went back Saturday which was actually more productive

lots of broken ends for various bottles but no names or embossing , many liquor some green beer , unsure if any for soda's

some broken glass jars , mini contents 2 oz bottle , Crown jar lid , broken blue china

1 unbroken bottle for " the embalmers supply co - Westport Conn "

another Lankin & Hathway soda bottle broken in 2 pieces so will try and glue it together and see what I get , its a tough one to find ( 20's - 30's era ) and local from Huntsville , this bottle also seems to break a lot or be damaged , nearly all I have seen are in some way

20210815_110219.jpg

DSC04275.JPG
DSC04283.JPG
DSC04276.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
the repair job appears to have been successful and the " lankin and hathway " bottle is now 1 piece

although is a fair bit of damage , some cracks and chips , I'd consider it an example piece at this point as its fair hard to find and from what was a fairly small town back then

DSC04293.JPG

DSC04294.JPG

DSC04296.JPG

DSC04299.JPG

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's always strange how common it seems to be to find one embalming fluid bottle in rural dump sites. That's really not the sort of thing you'd think anyone would be using one bottle of once. I can only assume that there must have been some secondary, off-label use for the stuff but I'm not sure what it would be.

RCO

Reaction score
It's always strange how common it seems to be to find one embalming fluid bottle in rural dump sites. That's really not the sort of thing you'd think anyone would be using one bottle of once. I can only assume that there must have been some secondary, off-label use for the stuff but I'm not sure what it would be.

it did seem like an odd find , it was well buried under some dirt and broken liquor bottles .

would agree there must of been some other use for it , not sure either what it would of been . I'd wonder what stores in a town that small would of even sold it back then , could you buy it at a hardware store , it seems like a special order item

as far as I know the only business area that existed in Huntsville in the 30's was " main street " would of been some small hardware stores , grocery stores , general merchants but not really much else

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Coke looks like a D19.... any diamond with 19 inside on the heel?

RCO

Reaction score
Coke looks like a D19.... any diamond with 19 inside on the heel?

I don't know its definitely an older coca cola from Canada but I don't see any markings or a D or any numbers

based on the age of the other bottles in dump it would be from late 20's or early 30's

its the only coke bottle I've found so far there

Mjbottle

Reaction score
I don't know its definitely an older coca cola from Canada but I don't see any markings or a D or any numbers

based on the age of the other bottles in dump it would be from late 20's or early 30's

its the only coke bottle I've found so far there
Cool coke bottle, those undated ones are definetly hard to find, probly 20's like you said

Reactions: RCO

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
it did seem like an odd find , it was well buried under some dirt and broken liquor bottles .

would agree there must of been some other use for it , not sure either what it would of been . I'd wonder what stores in a town that small would of even sold it back then , could you buy it at a hardware store , it seems like a special order item

as far as I know the only business area that existed in Huntsville in the 30's was " main street " would of been some small hardware stores , grocery stores , general merchants but not really much else
I'm not sure if you would have even been able to buy a single bottle of embalming fluid over the counter. Maybe the local undertaker was distributing it to other people for this mysterious second use?

I'm curious, do other collectors often find single embalming fluid bottles in farm dumps? It seems to be a fairly common thing to see on the Quebec forums, and I've found them, but not sure if it's a worldwide phenomenon or only localized around here.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18