3 piece mold whiskeys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

privvydigger

Reaction score
All four of these old gems came out of the hole. The two DC 3 piece molds were behind the wood walls and the nice Duffy's and Union Made Rectangular Qt. where in the pit. These were of only a few that were in the hole. I have dug lots of Duffy's....This was a first Union Made shaped like that. The other bottles have some lettering on bottom. I'm pretty sure their common but still nice looking. One has great whittling in the top two sections.
thx

DB36896EDC4D45CAAE596613448754C1.jpg

Attachments

• DB36896EDC4D45CAAE596613448754C1.jpg
    DB36896EDC4D45CAAE596613448754C1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 67

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello privvydigger; Those bottles you called 3 piece molds should really be called 3 part molds. They had a dip mold base with a bottom plate. Apparently your bottles had some embossing on the bottoms - it would be interesting to see their pictures. The three part mold system consisted of this dip mold base and there were two hinges on the back that permitted the two halves for the shoulders and neck to be tilted back for the lift out of the blown bottle. I have to assume the finish glass was applied and tooled; meaning that there would be no vertical seams on the finish glass. The bottles were more than likely snap cased for the finish work.

The molds for some embossed decorated bottles were made in 3-leaf mold parts. These were used on bottles like the milk glass fire dowser by the Clyde Glass Factory in Clyde N.Y. The decoration was too deep to let it be released from a two part vertical hinged mold.

Then there was the 3 part molded bottles that were made in the early American Glass Factories that had decoration machined in the molds to create glass that competed with the imported cut flint glass containers that supplied decantared beverages to the table.

I guess I need to put together some info with pictures to illustrate these differences. It should be easier that just with words.
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Then there was the 3 part molded bottles that were made in the early American Glass Factories that had decoration machined in the molds to create glass that competed with the imported cut flint glass containers that supplied decantared beverages to the table.

Hello again privvydigger, I wanted to get back to you regarding my description above as the 3 part molded bottles, above. What I really wanted to put there is the term- "Blown Three-Mold Design" I guess I had a mental relapse as I typed it the other way.

These molds were vertically hinged on a base plate that carried two segments or leaves and then one segment was short hinged to one of the other segments. This allowed the glass to be blown and the mold segments opened by a mold boy using levers on two of the segments. The glass was then lifted out and completed. The interesting thing about these formed pieces is that some were flared and provided with a pouring lip to make a pitcher. Then a formed handle was applied to the glass.

Other pieces out of the same mold were sheared off and the top was flared out and down to make a lip on a bowl, out of a glass blowing in the same mold. The success of it was great because it meant household glass for the American Homes at much less costly than the expensive glass from the English-Irish sources to the American Homes.

Sorry about that - haste makes waste. Either that or I was just tired.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4