600 ACL bottles for $3000

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cobolt ~

Good job! It is a "Big Shot." When I zoom in on the small image I can clearly see his derby and collar.

Thanks.

But you can't blame me for trying. Besides, nobody in their right mind would buy them sight unseen anyway. I know I wouldn't. I was just joshing about the $50.00 deal. That is unless someone sees something that I missed. I'd still like to think that other one is a "Birdie," but I think epackage is right ... it's some other label. Oh well, life goes on. But it was exciting there for a minute. Lol [:D]

SPBOB

acls

Reaction score
Bob - The other bottle is an orange and black ACL Sweetie bottle. They go for about $10 if they sell.

From what I see here the seller would be doing well to get his asking price. I see a lot of bottles with nice pictures, but I would put these in the "hard to sell" category. Most are just too common and the current bottle market isn't friendly to common to mid range bottles. I did see a P&B in there which is a nice bottle.

splante

Reaction score
nice collection.....his listing has a lot of pictures.....s&h 14.95 must be a mistake because his listing says local pick up or arange for freight at about 150 lbs....not seeing the big hit bottle (but we know how my eyes are) went to 400% sodapopbob looks like big chief to me.....going to ask him if no bids would he consider smaller lots....my wife would shoot me if a truck pulled up to drop of 600 bottles

splante

Reaction score
just looked at your attachement again at 400% think i see a (red lettering) BIG chief bottle but just to the right it may be a mans shoulder holding a bat in blue and white...if so... amazing pick sodapopbob....asked about breaking up into lots of 50 to 100 should hear back tuesday

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
splante ~

Thanks, but ...

I feel like a heel now for saying this, but I am 99.9% convinced that colboltmoon is correct in that it is a "Big Shot" acl. I said earlier that I could see the derby and colar in the zoomed image. I meant derby and the "shoulder" ... plus the red background and white border also match up. And to be honest with everyone, I actually think I can see the cigar. Yep ... cobolt was right! It's a "Big Shot!"

Which I ain't ... so I will just apologize now for seein' something that weren't there in the first place. But if I was rich, I think I'd buy them dang bottles. You gotta admit they look to be in pretty dang good condition. Anybody want to loan me $3000.00? I will pay you back on Tuesday. Lol [:D]

SPBOB

P.S. Earlier I thought I saw Elvis standing behind the "Tru Treat" bottle. But it could have been my 'magination.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Don't have that kind of money to throw around. Let alone to take a shot in the dark with.

-SodaBob: You hear that the Mtn. Dew Teem bottle is a fake? This guy would know if he had anything party jug valuable...

jays emporium

Reaction score
"Buyer will have to arrange for pick up or shipping via common freight carrier since items will exceed 150#."
I think the bottles alone would weigh 400-500 pounds. Not practical to pack and ship this collection at all.

splante

Reaction score
the mtn dew teem was a fake? is that the same one we all talked about around a month ago

EA9B8A86D02248BF81927FCA84201526.jpg

Attachments

• EA9B8A86D02248BF81927FCA84201526.jpg
    EA9B8A86D02248BF81927FCA84201526.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 30

splante

Reaction score
not to rehash the md just wondering if it is the same,
still waiting for reply from ebay sellar on breaking up the lot

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
splante ~

Since this thread is about a hodgepodge of different bottles, I suppose it qualifies for a variety of different discussions. Which makes me wonder, as OsiaBoyce brought out, if the Mountain Dew/Teem bottle(s) were made by a couple of factory employees who were just messing around, then exactly what category would they fall into?

Genuine? ... No way!

Fake? ... Not exactly. After all, they were made at a genuine factory. A fake in my opinion would be something made in someone's garage.

Prototype? ... No. A prototype would be authorized and an experiment intended for possible use.

Oddity? ... Yes!

Rare? ... Yes!

Worth $1500.00? ... Apparently so to someone. But whether it would sell for that amount again is questionable.

So where does that leave us? ... It leaves me asking if factory blooper bottles of any kind are even worth wondering about? Is it simply a rarity factor that makes them collectible? And what if there were 500 or 1000 known examples of this sort of bottle? Would they still be worth $1500.00? Doubtful.

I suppose there are as many different answers to these questions as there are collectors. But speaking for myself, and knowing what I do now, if another one of those Mountain Dew/Teem bottles were to come up for auction I think I would pass on it even if available for $250.00. I collect primarily for the enjoyment it gives me. Not the investment potential. Heck, I still get excited when I find a common Coke bottle that I already have twenty of. It's the thrill of the hunt and the possibility of finding a $2.00 bottle I don't already have that really gets my blood pumping.

And unless you were 100 years old and beyond your years, who among us could actually sell their entire collection no matter how valuable? I know I couldn't. It would be like cutting off one of my arms.

SPBOB

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster