7up 3-1-3 bubble bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I wonder which came first?

1. The Turkey or the Turkey egg?

2. The 7313 phone number or the 3-1-3 sign?

Yep! After Thanksgiving I'm going to try and find the answer to both questions ... :flag:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm still working on finding the answer to question NO. 2 from my last post, but the answer to question NO. 1 is ...

1. Scrambled eggs

The reason I say this is because that's what it does to my brain when I think about it. :rolleyes:

As far as the answer to question No. 2 goes, that's a bit more complicated. In order to make sense of what follows, the first thing I need to do is post this timeline as to when each of the following 7up bottling plants were first established. Please make a note of the dates because they will factor in as I continue, with emphasis on "bottling plants" and not distribution warehouses or distribution centers ...

Los Angeles = Established in 1936
San Bernardino = Established in 1937
Bakersfield = Established in 1939

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Next up are three different 7up ads from 1936. What's especially interesting about these three ads is ...

1. All three were published on the same exact day (December 29, 1936)

2. All three ads are from three different newspapers [See titles]

3. All three ads list 6 1/2 Ounce bottles

4. Two of the ads list 12 Ounce bottles

Note: I think we all agree there were no 12 Ounce ACL 7up bottles in 1936. Hence, I have to believe the references to 12 Ounce bottles in two of the ads were for paper label bottles and not ACLs. As for the 6 1/2 Ounce bottles listed in the ads, I don't know for certain if they were paper label bottles or ACL bottles, but suspect they had paper labels.

Special Note: Now you know the reason I started with the timeline in my last post - which was to point out that the San Bernardino and Bakersfield 7up bottling plants had not been established yet when these ads were published. There is no question they were being sold in San Bernardino and Bakersfield in 1936, but they no doubt came from distribution warehouses that were likely supplied by the 7up plant in Los Angeles.

[ The Los Angeles Times ~ December 29, 1936 ]

7up The_Los_Angeles_Times_Tue__Dec_29__1936_ (2).jpg

[ The San Bernardino Sun ~ December 29, 1936 ]

7up The_San_Bernardino_County_Sun_Tue__Dec_29__1936_ (2).jpg

[ The Bakersfield Californian ~ December 29, 1936 ]

7up The_Bakersfield_Californian_Thu__Dec_29__1938_ (2).jpg

Footnote: Because all three ads were published on the same exact day, that suggest coordination of some type, which I suspect was a directive from the Los Angeles plant and not a coincidence.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
And here is the only paper label 7up bottle I have found so far that is described as being from Los Angeles ...

Copy/Pasted description ~ ( But no mention of a date or date code )

"[FONT=&amp]This is probably the oldest and rarest 7up bottle you will find. It is 1pint 13oz. It is embossed on front and back u7p it is bottled by seven up bottling company Los Angeles which is all embossed on the bottom."

[/FONT]
7up Bottle Los Angeles Paper Label Embossed Neck.jpg

Notice the 2-2-3 bubble placement in this closeup

7up Bottle Los Angeles Paper Label Embossed Neck Close Up.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is off-topic but I don't know where else to post it. I just got a PM from a new member who goes by the name ob2se. I tried to send a reply but it said the new member was not set up to receive PMs. So the following message is to that member in case they happen to tap into this particular thread ...

ob2se

If you see this, please go into your personal settings and opt to receive PMs. And then send me another PM and I will send you a reply.

Thanks

Sodabob

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is off-topic but I don't know where else to post it. I just got a PM from a new member who goes by the name ob2se. I tried to send a reply but it said the new member was not set up to receive PMs. So the following message is to that member in case they happen to tap into this particular thread ...

ob2se

If you see this, please go into your personal settings and opt to receive PMs. And then send me another PM and I will send you a reply.

Thanks

Sodabob

I was able to figure out the message from ob2se originated from "What Is It ` After 1900" so I posted a message on that thread asking him to check his personal settings.

SODABOB

Reaction score
PS

I finally contacted ob2se and suggested he start a new thread in the soda bottle category. So watch for a new thread with "American Club Beverages" in the title

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bob, Both of my Michigan Paper Label 7 up's Quart & 7 oz. have the 2-2-3 bubbles. But I guess thats not so unusual. LEON.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Leon

Yeah, its crazy that 7up has so many different labels. Some of the paper labels have 8 bubbles and some have 7 bubbles. Its the same with the ACLs. Instead of 7up they should have called it "Mixed up"

The time just flew by today and I will get back on track tomorrow. Maybe its true what they say about Turkey making you sleepy - all I have felt like doing today is taking one long nap :cool:

SODABOB

Reaction score
But then again, maybe its not Turkey that makes me sleepy. Maybe it was Mimosa's in the morning, Rum & Coke in the afternoon, and wine with dinner. Oh well, tomorrow's another day - without any of the above being a part of it

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26