Looking for some info on a Jar found about 45 years ago.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Snooze

Reaction score
I found this jar about 45 years ago in New Mexico along a railroad dump site. I showed this to several groups on Facebook, and no one knows anything about it, when it was made, where it was made etc. So I'm hoping someone in the group might help. Thanks in advance. Bob

Attachments

• 100_0805.jpg
    100_0805.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0806.jpg
    100_0806.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0808.jpg
    100_0808.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 28

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's not that old of a jar, I'm guessing late 60s or early 70s based on the amount of rust on the cap and when you found it. That stippling around the base wasn't used before approximately 1950 or so. I don't know which company was using the bell logo, decent chance it was Liberty Brand something or other. Doesn't look like it has a manufacturer's mark so there's basically no way to know which company manufactured the jar itself.

Snooze

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's not that old of a jar, I'm guessing late 60s or early 70s based on the amount of rust on the cap and when you found it. That stippling around the base wasn't used before approximately 1950 or so. I don't know which company was using the bell logo, decent chance it was Liberty Brand something or other. Doesn't look like it has a manufacturer's mark so there's basically no way to know which company manufactured the jar itself.
Thank you for the info. I did appreciate it. I found this Jar in the early 70's and it looked just like the picture. Not sure how long it takes to get the lid rusty. Thanks, Bob

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I did appreciate it. I found this Jar in the early 70's and it looked just like the picture. Not sure how long it takes to get the lid rusty. Thanks, Bob
I'd guess that amount of rust would form over around 5-10 years of being outside, although now that I think about it the dry desert conditions might slow the process down somewhat. So maybe more like mid-50s-early 60s in that case. Just a guess though, I'm really not very familiar with deserts in general.

Diggum

Reaction score
Just an educated guess, but I'm thinking Bell Foods Peanut Butter. Bell was big in the potato chip world, as well as other kinds of chips and pretzels. Eventually, they expanded their snack food line to include peanut butter. I've included an old ad from the '60's, a little blurry. that shows their peanut butter.

Attachments

• bpb.png
    bpb.png
    321.9 KB · Views: 13

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL