7up 7 bubble variation!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hey, iggy

Please refresh my memory regarding the latest dates for embossed necks. I should know myself but I can't recall at the moment.

Here's one of the Bakersfield, Ca. bottles I've been looking for. Unfortunately, this was the only available picture of it. I'm not sure about the bubble placement or the date. All I know is what you see here and that its from Bakersfield and has an embossed neck with u7p ...

7up Bakersfield, Ca. Date unknown but has embossed neck.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I have been looking at as many 7up bottles as I can find, including on eBay and elsewhere, and the only confirmed 3-1-3 bottles I have been able to find are from ...

1. Los Angeles, California - 1941 - iggy's bottle

2. San Bernardino, California - Date Unknown

Note: Even though the Bakersfield, California bottle is a possible 3-1-3, it has yet to be confirmed with a picture showing the bubble placement.

Additionally, I have seen confirmed 3-1-3 wood crates from ...

1. Bakersfield, California

2. Los Angeles, California

3. San Bernardino, California

4. San Diego, California

However, it has not been determined yet if the 3-1-3 crates directly correlate with the 3-1-3 bottles.

I have several 7up bottles from San Diego, one of which was made in 1952 at the Los Angeles Owens-Illinois plant #23, and is marked with 23 <(I)> 52

However, my 1952 bottle is a 2-2-3 and not a 3-1-3

Here are the two crates not shown yet ...

1. San Bernardino

7up Crate San Bernardino.jpg

2. San Diego

7up Crate San Diego Front.jpg

7up Crate San Diego Front End.jpg

Footnote: I'm not convinced yet that the numbers on the crates are dates - although they could be.

(I'll be back)

iggyworf

Reaction score
According to Bill Lockharts chart, embossed necks might have gone as late as 1940.

7up Chart Bill Lockhart (2).jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
same as the one you found Bob. disregard.

Attachments

• 7up 3-1-3 bottle 6 oz san beridino.jpg
    7up 3-1-3 bottle 6 oz san beridino.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy

I've been wondering about the crates myself and which box factory made them. If the Barrington, R.I. crate was made by the same company that made the other 3-1-3 crates, and during the same time period, that might explain the bubble placement. However, determining who made which crates and when could be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. As far as the 3-1-3 bottles go, the trail thus far seems to lead directly to the Owens-Illinois Plant #23 in Los Angeles, California. But even if that Plant is the only source for the 3-1-3 bottles, you still have to wonder ...

1. Why they produced the 3-1-3 labels?

2. Did they produce 2-3-2 labels at the same time? If so, why make two different labels at the same time?

3. Were the 3-1-3 labels random or were they made at the request of certain bottlers?

4. What year(s) were the 3-1-3 labels produced?

5. Were they only made in 1941? If so, why?

The only thing I'm fairly confident about at the moment is that the 3-1-3 bottles seem to be extremely rare. But why that is I do not know.

To further this investigation, I think it might prove worthwhile to focus on the year 1941 as a possibly strong clue.

(I'll be back)

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy

I came across the same Bakersfield picture and can't make out the truck emblems either. Regarding 3-1-3 crates, signs, etc., because I'm not familiar enough with those type of items, I'm putting them on the back burner for the time being and laser-focusing my search for the 3-1-3 bottles, especially the two confirmed examples from Los Angeles and San Bernardino. Speaking of the San Bernardino bottle, earlier you said this about your Los Angeles bottle ...

"My bottle is an Owens Illinois from 1941. The plant code # is 23, which is L.A. but according to some charts they didn't bottle anything until 1949, so that is a little confusing. But the date code is a 1 with a period after it."

For starters, the Owens-Illinois plant was definitely operating in Los Angeles as early as 1935. So your 1941 date is accurate.

Secondly, I have been studying the base on the San Bernardino bottle and believe its highly possible the second number is a one as in ...

23 <(I)> 1. (For 1941)

As for what looks like an O, that could very easily just be an anomaly in the glass. I realize this is speculative, but what else could the number be other than a one?

Check out the enhanced image I did of the base and compare it to the following numbers. I'll bet you dimes to donuts its a 1.

and not a ...
2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 0.

San Bernardino 3-1-3 Bottle / Base

7up San Bernardino, Ca Back Base (2).jpg

7up San Bernardino, Ca Back Base.jpg

Hence, I'm still leaning toward the possibility that a major clue is ... ​1941

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Its simple! All we need to do is find another San Bernardino bottle with a clearly focused picture of the base. :rolleyes:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of another San Bernardino bottle, I found this ...

{ Accompanying Description }

[FONT=&amp]"Four Old Seven Up 7UP Bubble Girl 7 oz. Bottles. They are in excellent condition. They are all different cities on the back. Los Angeles, Calif., San Bernardino, Calif., Fresno, Calif., and Globe-Miami, Arizona."

Notice the Los Angeles bottle (1st left) and the San Bernardino bottle (2nd from left) are 2-2-3 bottles, which tells us they discontinued the 3-1-3 bottles at some point. Which adds to my speculation about the 1941 date. The description is copy/pasted as shown and did not include any dates.

[/FONT]
7up Bottles.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator