Weird bottle lip, any idea when it was made?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

buckeyegrrl

Reaction score
Really curious about the type of top that was on here. It was found while fishing. It must have been some type post-cork to seal the top. The moss makes it looks green however it seems to be clearer than that (maybe a light yellow or even clear). Since it was from a lake I feel maybe it was once holding a type of tonic/elixir that the fisherman threw the bottle into the water.

There are a few small bubbles visible with a flashlight on the sides however there is a big air-bubble encased in the glass in the middle of one side of the bottle.

Any ideas appreciated?
- what the bottle top might be
- how old the bottle may be (can't really tell if pre-1900 or post-1900)
- what did the bottle carry or was it a type of medicine bottle (it fits in the hand)

IMG_20231003_121831096.jpg

IMG_20231003_121837166.jpg

IMG_20231003_121852446.jpg

IMG_20231003_121928366.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I can't remember what this type of top is called, they had a metal cap similar to a typical screw cap as far as I know. I'm pretty sure there's a specific name for them that's eluding me. They seem to mostly have been a 1930s phenomenon. Based on the shape I'm guessing either a toiletry/cosmetic type product or some sort of sauce.

buckeyegrrl

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I can't remember what this type of top is called, they had a metal cap similar to a typical screw cap as far as I know. I'm pretty sure there's a specific name for them that's eluding me. They seem to mostly have been a 1930s phenomenon. Based on the shape I'm guessing either a toiletry/cosmetic type product or some sort of sauce.

thank you. its the lip that confounds me. must have been carbonated if a metal top to keep it air-sealed? so maybe a tonic of some sort? the red bull of its day.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
thank you. its the lip that confounds me. must have been carbonated if a metal top to keep it air-sealed? so maybe a tonic of some sort? the red bull of its day.
It can't have been carbonated with a top like that, that style of closure wasn't strong enough to withstand pressure. I suspect it didn't have a very good seal at all since it was phased out fairly quickly after it was introduced. By the time that your bottle was made, carbonated beverages would have almost always been sealed with the same sort of bottle caps that are in use today (or, very rarely, a wire-and-ceramic stopper like you see on today's Grolsch bottles).

buckeyegrrl

Reaction score

If you remember the name of the top, please let me know and I'll try to research into it. Thanks again.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Really curious about the type of top that was on here. It was found while fishing. It must have been some type post-cork to seal the top. The moss makes it looks green however it seems to be clearer than that (maybe a light yellow or even clear). Since it was from a lake I feel maybe it was once holding a type of tonic/elixir that the fisherman threw the bottle into the water.

There are a few small bubbles visible with a flashlight on the sides however there is a big air-bubble encased in the glass in the middle of one side of the bottle.

Any ideas appreciated?
- what the bottle top might be
- how old the bottle may be (can't really tell if pre-1900 or post-1900)
- what did the bottle carry or was it a type of medicine bottle (it fits in the hand)

View attachment 249956

View attachment 249957

View attachment 249958

View attachment 249959
IMG_8225.jpeg

From Sha.org
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members