7up Paper Label Very 1st?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is cropped from the ad I posted a couple of days ago ...

7up 1932_ Lithiated_The_Journal_Times_Racine Wisconsin_Sun__Apr_24__1932 Cropped.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
INCONCLUSIVE / ETC.

I'm revising what I said earlier and now leaning toward ...

A 1932 7-Up Paper Label on a 1932 Root Bottle

SODABOB

Reaction score
And nominating this as a candidate for POSSIBLY being the very first 7-Up paper label

7up Cecil Munsey 2004 Article Possible First Paper Label Cropped.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Great work Bob. I never seen that one before. I havn't had a lot of time to search since i started back to work. We were delayed 3 wks so still trying to catch u[p.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I have pretty much hit a dead-end and can't seem to find anything more than what I already have. So this is adios for the time being, but will be back if I or anyone else finds something of interest that might solve yet another 7-Up mystery. As I eluded to earlier, the best I can come up with is that your bottle and label could very well be from 1932 - although this is totally speculative and will require more time and research to either refute or confirm. Any additional research I do will likely focus specifically on what could be a paper label like the one in my last post - providing it is a label - which I am not certain about. So, without further ado, I leave you with ...

This is me years from now and still looking for the very first 7-Up paper label

7up Bottle My Precious.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
This link is to a paper label 7up bottle that's currently on eBay

Notice ...

1. Its a 1944 7up bottle made by the Owens Illinois Glass Company
2. The paper label has (C) 1949 By The Seven Up Company

Although the paper label looks original to the bottle, it may or may not be. A seller or collector could have glued a newer label to an older bottle - which is something we will likely never know for certain, and can be not only confusing, but frustrating.

However, if they are original to one another, then its likely an example of a bottle that was reused/refilled for several years, with the paper label changed as needed. Despite the bottle's age, the paper label on this particular cannot be any earlier than 1949. Hence, my reasoning that you can't always date a bottle based on the paper label that's on it - or vice versa - they are two different things.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Another thing to consider is bottle washing. The attached snippet is from a 1921 issue of the American Bottler magazine. Notice what it says about "soaking" - "caustic soda" - "brushes" - "temperatures" and so on. Based on everything I know about early bottle washing machines, it appears to me that a new paper label would be required every time the bottle was washed. Hence, a 1949 paper label on a 1944 bottle like the one on eBay. This might also have been the case with Rich's bottle.

Bottle Washing Machines American Bottler Magazine 1921.jpg

I posted this Cecil Munsey snippet earlier, but posting it again to draw attention to where it says at the bottom "Labels do not come off in the cooler" - But it doesn't say anything about labels not coming off during the washing process.

7up Cecil Munsey 2004 Article Possible First Paper Label.jpg

As time allows I plan to continue my search for the very first 7-Up paper label, but I don't think we have found it yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown