99 cent hutch

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Couple of major lip chips, bid $1.00 on it, won it for the 99¢ minimum. $6 plus change with postage. Don't even know why I bothered I've got one already in mint condition...

E7E1C504D1C44C7C99904ADF2B948A63.jpg

Attachments

• E7E1C504D1C44C7C99904ADF2B948A63.jpg
    E7E1C504D1C44C7C99904ADF2B948A63.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 72

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I would have bothered for sure.. that hutch is a commodity worth more than six bux even to me..depending how bad the lip chips are..

Lordbud

Reaction score
It's old and crude and local, guess that was enough for such a cheap price...[8D] I just love old bottles and I bid on a whim. Displays fine. Not that I have a display here in earthquake country but y'all know what I mean. Hand blown by a glass artisan from a time when hand made was the norm. Someone had the training, talent and feeling to make this baby by hand...somehow life has been cheapened by plastic and soulless mass production...nice to hold something real in one's hands and appreciate the workmanship.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Jason,

Was this the same company at 723 Turk St?

"Lot 26 EUREKA SODA WORKS 723 TURK ST S.F. HUTCH with
applied top. 6 7/8†As you know, hutches are hard to find with applied
tops. This is a scarce one with lots of color in the aqua. Has a few
scratches but generally About Mint. Est. $50-100. MB $40." From.

Do'ya know anything about the relationship with C.A.Reiners?
85-01.jpg
"A C.A. REINERS & CO. 723 TURK ST. S.F. / IMPROVED MINERAL WATER bottle with moon and stars on reverse. Here is another example of a bottle that is almost always seen in aqua versus this green coloration and what a beautiful example it is." From.

013.jpg
"C.A. REINERS & CO. SAN FRANCISCO. TRADE MARK WITH MOON AND STARS on reverse. Rare variant without the Turk St. address. 1873-75. Here’s an exceptional example of the popular Reiner’s soda bottle. Of all the examples we’ve seen this may be only the second one without the address. It’s possible Reiner had these made while in partnership with John Breig running the Eureka Soda Works and once he settled in on Turk St. he added the address. At any rate, this is a tough one to beat, lots of whittle, great deep aqua coloration and a super strike. Grade: Very light wear with a few scratches and no highpoint wear. Small scrape on lip. Grade 8.9.
Winning Bid: $ 300

Estimate: $ 300 - $ 500
Bidding Ended" From American Bottle Auctions.

barnsley.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cool bottle and you won it cheap.

I thought that the title was about a rare hutch that I own from a 99 cent store (embossed right on it). It's pretty cool. I'll post a pic if you'd like (but otherwise, I don't want to sidetrack your thread).

Lordbud

Reaction score
Of all the examples we’ve seen this may be only the second one without the address.

Yes, there is a Eureka Soda Works hutch with the 723 Turk St. address embossed, as well as this hutch variant without the address and there is also a C.A. Reiners hutch with the address BUT [8D] there is no listing for a C.A. Reiners hutch without the address.

I bought my blobtop Reiners "with address" from Judi Miyaski back in the day, and found my "no address" blobtop Reiners at the San Mateo Antique show at the fairgrounds maybe 15 years ago.

Besides the one pictured in your post from American Bottle Auctions, I've seen one other "no address" offered on ebay several years ago. That makes three examples I personally know of. Any of our Advanced Collectors know the relative rarity of the "no address" blobtop Reiners or if there is a "no address" Reiners hutch?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem