A FRENCHE'S ABM glass food jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The question involves a 14 oz jar – Embossed Pint Product Jar
“/ FRENCH †over “/ MEDFORD †over “/ BRAND †over “/ PREPARED †over “/ MUSTARD â€. the bottom has a strange large off center marked area with an embossed “/ 8 †for a mold number. It has A single thread finish with a guide-ring formed top to it. The mold seams on the bottom heal are set low on the seams so the jar can not set stable on the bottom.

There is now identity of maker but the BIG BOTTLE MYSTERY is that there is no transfer bead under the thread, so the mystery is “ How did they hang the parison in the mold closing to cover it with a blowhead for the final blow? “ It seems that it would have to have been done using the taper of the thread on the top of the mold. It is beyond my imagination.
RED Matthews

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
Red, I think I have one of these jars. we use it as a drinking glass. it's about 100 miles away from me right now, otherwise I would include a picture of it in this post. Can you post a picture of this jar, and the area in question?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks for the comeback Toby! I realize that it probably is a different glass machine that the Emhart I-S machine and possibly not even an Owen's machine. The mold seam is about .030" off to the left of the mold seam, so that confirms the parison being held by the thread which slopes in that direction. I can't fathom the savings, so the machine identity and making company identity will have to be determined before we will know. RED Matthews

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
Here is a couple photos of one of the french's I have Red.

6F4ACD1327E442FE8ED4E9C34F587E75.jpg

Attachments

• 6F4ACD1327E442FE8ED4E9C34F587E75.jpg
    6F4ACD1327E442FE8ED4E9C34F587E75.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 69

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thank Toby That is the same jar. It doesn't have a transfer bead either. So they had to hold the parieon up with the thread for the final blow. It is hard for me to comprehend because it means to me that the threaded tapered top would not have given them seal for the final blow, and I would have expected finish distortion. Also the top of the mold would have to have had an angular top to match the thread.
Thanks for the come-back. WE may never have that bottle mystery solved. I am trying to find an old glass mold engineer friend: Mr. Dan Corbet, who worked for Ball. I haven't succeded even with the computer finder fpr telephone numbers. He may have beat me to the Happy Hunting Grounds. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123