"A lot of bottle collectors have gone underground"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I copied this from a post I made on another forum.I totally agree with McDirt and Gunther.This law was not set out to stop privy digging but they will try to apply it to anything to serve their needs.McDirt mentioned Newspapers,which are never good,either.Historical sites need to be saved and not every pit or dump is one but lets use some common sense.I always post bluntly on these topics and for this reason,new diggers and collectors always love seeing the press and need to see the flip side.Doug

The law is ignorant,but we all know archeologists feel this way
and the feeling will continue to spread.What I think is ironic
is,many folks in here thought a show called CASH AND TREASURE
featuring privy digging was good for the hobby.That was the dumbest
thing I'd ever heard of,not this law.This story infuriates us but
the way that show infuriated them.The law was there before the show
and was put on the books to primarily protect Native American sites
I imagine.Alot of guys continue to think being in your local paper
and public information is a good idea but it will only lead to
negative opinion of privy digging to uptight scholars.I learned
about digging privies on the internet and the information put online
continues to grow the number of diggers.This will surely lead to
more bad press for the hobby.I love to brag and show off my dug
stuff to other diggers but to do it in public is stupid.Regardless I
will write Susan White and voice my opinion.Doug

appliedlips

Reaction score
You sir are correct.This issue probably hits close to home for him since his dump was closed and in the paper.He openly hates this forum and puts it all over the net but can't stay away.If you look at Citydiggers past posts you won't see a whole lot of positive posts.Only stirring trouble.Happy Thanksgiving guys!

and i thought subsoil and citydigger was the same guy with his own forum , but im just showin some love.
ORIGINAL: PhilaBottles

i bet if someone dug a GX-23 in puce, donated the auction money to charity, or the bottle to a museum only with publicity...that would shut up a few people. But some of you will argue that most wouldnt do that.

and i thought subsoil and citydigger was the same guy with his own forum [;)], but im just showin some love.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Interesting thread and many good points made:

I've been interviewed a couple of times by the local paper. It hasn't resulted in any kind of negative responses and I got very few leads from it.[/align]I made sure to state I enjoyed digging for bottles, but I never said where. I also stated I traveled to shows, yard sales, and flea markets in pursuit of bottles.[/align]Last week I was invited to give a talk about bottles at the local historical association meeting. Unlike at bottle club meetings where I had spoken, it caused me to go round & round with how to do such a talk as 99 % of the members knew nothing at all about bottle collecting, etc. [/align]I began with old pontilled bottles and ended with ACLs and had examples of bottles to show. I lost my way a couple of times - my mind just went blank. LOL[/align]The large crowd of 60 or so Peeps, didn't help.[/align]At the end several approached me and said they enjoyed the talk, learned something and, would look at bottles in an entirely different way now. So, I guess I was "successful" in gaining both interest and attention to the Hobby.[/align]Another thing that came out of the talk was during the question & answer session. My wife pointed out to the President and membership that lots of bottles were still in the ground and what was the historical association going to do about it?[/align]The result: I was to draft a sample letter to send out to contractors, builders, the Cities of Bristol, and construction/demolition companies to contact names on the letter in the event any old bottles were unearthed/ found during the course of work, and the contacts would remove and preserve the bottles in question. Even if they all went to the historical association, that seemed a much better option than having them crushed and/or reburied .[/align]All in all, positive press for the Hobby can't hurt as long as properly "handled" and we do need new "blood" to continue to enter the Hobby. The more Peeps out there looking and digging - the more bottles will come to light.[/align]WE don't really own any of this "stuff". We simply enjoy it, gather it up ,and later dispose of it for like minded individuals to enjoy. Along the way we spend money, make money, trade back & forth and share our knowledge and expertise. [/align]I would imagine that in the long run, we're lucky to "break even" monetarily, considering all the time & labor we exhaust in the pursuit of our Hobby.[/align]

citydigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

You sir are correct.This issue probably hits close to home for him since his dump was closed and in the paper.He openly hates this forum and puts it all over the net but can't stay away.If you look at Citydiggers past posts you won't see a whole lot of positive posts.Only stirring trouble.Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Come on appliedlips, no one wants any trouble. I have dug with Matt and know he is not well liked in this forum. I also know he dislikes a few of the members in here for his own reasons but I don't think he wants any trouble these days, he has calmed down a lot. I am not trying to start any trouble in here, are you? Because by posting the remark above it sure sounds to me like you are the one with a grudge. Just give me a break and let stick to the topic. I am not going to be provoked into an argument with you guys just because you do not like someone I know.

Now about that dump you were mentioning in you previous post. I think every local digger has dug in that place since the 60's. It sucks that they closed it down but to be honest, most of the stuff that came out of there was sick junk TOC stuff. A lot was melted. So the state closing it down really just gave us the opportunity to find better areas to dig. Privies are where the really old stuff is these days anyhow. Have a nice holiday and don't be haters. No one want any trouble on this end.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
We have 10,000 year old human settlements found and kept under gaurd here...bottles dug from surface dumps is such small potatoes no one cares except the landowner and the digger.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Boy, it's nice to know that a guy can make a post on here now, and the thought police will take it down without a word because they don't agree with what it says. [:-] Like I said before, land of the free my a$$.

splante

Reaction score
opps didnt mean to restart this one just wanted to copy the advice
ORIGINAL: digger mcdirt

I have learned two rules in this hobby after 30 years of digging and collecting. "Loose lips sink ships and out of sight out of mind". I have never allowed newspapers etc to do stories of my collection of bottles and Civil War. I have turned down many offers for interviews etc. Why? It advertises your collection whats in your house to everyone good and yes bad and it opens eyes and makes awareness to who you are and what your doing. I had the best dump site in the world closed because a new digger had to pose with his finds for the paper and even told (stretched) how much stuff was worth. One week later we had 50 new diggers one week later the owner posted the land and fenced it. Today it is still off limits the Police watch it like Hawks.All thanks to a nice little newspaper story on what he did and what he had found. Loose lips sink ships !

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator