A Question and a Problem to a new 1880s Dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I am an experienced digger and I usually know where to find bottles by location but this place has stumped the crap out of me.

Ok, so I went scouting for new spots, and it turns out that there is a digging spot by the water not too far away from me.

I went down to a creek, found literally tons of shards of all local blobs, meds, flasks, and daries, all broken. The odd thing is that they look as if they were broken recently, and not water worn (the creek is close to the ocean and is affected by waves at high tide every day). So I start digging around and there is no layer, just regular soil under the shards. I tried digging away from the shards, further from the water, and no such luck either. I tried probing as well using a 5 ft probe to try and find a layer, and a 2 foot sand probe to try and find single bottles, no luck as well.

About 30 feet back there is a cliff that goes up about 60 feet. It was steep at about an 80 degree angle. Through the foliage I see a little cave of sorts that seemed to have been dug out by someone. So i made the 20 foot climb up and found a crater in the cliff face that someone dug. There was alot of 1880s-1920s type ash, both black and white, alot of old 1870s-1880s bricks, and to top it off, a shovel that someone left in the hole that had snapped in two. The weird thing is that there was not a single shard to be found in that crater.

I dug the crater for 3 hours, making it 3 times its original size. Out came about 60 whole embossed bricks (which i tossed aside), and only 1 shard of window glass.

On the old maps there was a mansion at the top of the cliff that went back to 1873. But i find it hard to believe that they threw just the bottles straight down into the water, and just the bricks into the ash fill. Even if they threw the bottles down from 60 feet straight to where the shards are now, alot of them would have survived because of the soft landing (mix of sand, mud, and soil) with no rocks present.

I also took a quick walk out into the water with waders and there were no bottles or shards to be found 30 feet out either.

The only things I found to keep were a small ceramic dog figure, about half dollar size, and a porcelain blob top stopper which was taken out of the top half of a blob.

WHERE ARE THE BOTTLES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! [:(][>:][:(][>:]

Please help anyone?

permaspooked

Reaction score
I know im new but let me take a crack at it. Maybe the cave is a dig at the privy from the side, You said you found bricks. Arent some privys lined with bricks? The person who dug into it may have emptyed the entire privy if thats what it was and kept all unbroken bottles and discarded all shards at the bottom. Was the house at a higher eleavation then the cave? I sketch would help ;)

NyDigger1

Reaction score
There is no privy on the property, i checked on the maps, and there was no back yard then either, just the cliff. I know that for a fact too because im trying to score a permission across the street from that site.

I doubt the privy is 40 feet down the cliff, there is no way down from the top. You can only reach the cave / crater going up from the bottom. I know what a privy is and what it looks like. These bricks were just like the ones you find in any dump, randomly spaced apart, no cement or glaze on them as would be characteristic of a privy or cistern. ALSO The mansion was built in 1873, the area already had plumbing at the time.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Seems like there should be some good potential there. If the fresh shards are from the recent digging, perhaps the digger hit the bottles a bit further down the steep slope but as they dug up the layers changed, and your diggings were in the more elevated sterile layer. Perhaps the recent storms washed the shards down from elsewhere in the area. I'd imagine things are pretty overgrown right now but a survey of the area in february or march might reveal the source. They've gotta be in there somewhere, so for now I'd try to make a bunch of test holes all around the bank.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It sounds like a dug out, flattened, thrown over the cliff site to me.
I saw an area with tons of plate glass in a river that no one could figure out. It turned out there were three greenhouses up above there in the 50's.
Is there any new development in the area?

NyDigger1

Reaction score
7452810_orig.png

NyDigger1

Reaction score
No recent developments in the area, no erosion, everything looks fresh, about 10 feet into the cliff is where the layer ends.

NyDigger1

Reaction score
At Cowmeatsize, Yes, but this is a site from the 1870s-1880s, with exposure to the elements and some waves and the glass looks fresh

I wll try to make it there again soon and take pics

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1