ACL SODA BOTTLE PARTS W/ DEFINITIONS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Could anyone describe the "blank seam" as shown in surfaceone's illustration? Is this the wavy line that is sometimes seen which is more concave than convex? And its purpose?

Hey Jordan,

Good question, sir. The best that I can come up with is Thanks to Bill Lindsey:

"Parison mold - Also known as the blank mold, a block mold (on a press-and-blow machine), or on an Owens Automatic Bottle Machine it is sometimes called a measuring mold (Tooley 1953; World Book Encyclopedia 1958; Miller & Morin 2004)). Sometimes spelled "paraison" (Hunter 1950). This is the preliminary bottle forming mold on all automatic bottle machines which transforms a gob of glass into a preliminary bottle shape with a fully formed finish (lip) and a partially formed body. The parison mold on a blow-and-blow machine was made of two or more parts (not including the neck-ring mold) This formative bottle is then automatically transferred to a blow mold for final expansion to shape of the finished product. On the Owens machines the parison mold was apparently sized to measure the glass being sucked out of the glass pot below, thus the term measuring mold. Parison molds were unnecessary with mouth-blown bottles were only one mold was used. See the Glassmaking & Glassmakers page for more information. The blank (parison) mold concept was the revolutionary invention (patented in 1882) of Philip Arbogast of Philadelphia, PA. although the implementation of the blank mold - which forms the "finish" of the bottle - was not realized until the 1890s with the first semi-automatic machines (Howard 1950).

Parison mold seams - The mold seams that are formed on the surface of the bottle by the mold part interfaces (joints) of a semi or fully automatic machines parison mold. These can include the ghost seams on the sides and a suction scar like mark on the base of machine-made bottles."

I hope this addresses your question, Jordan...

There's a Coca-Cola hobbleskirt specific part chart On This Page.

cokepatent.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Surf ~

Thanks for the "seam" follow up. Here's a picture to go with it ...

Bob

1EB11FAE995B4C5FA17BF3DF8B11B299.jpg

Attachments

• 1EB11FAE995B4C5FA17BF3DF8B11B299.jpg
    1EB11FAE995B4C5FA17BF3DF8B11B299.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 77

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
uno mas ~

6BDA7F92857F45B19EECE0FC4C4FAEF0.jpg

Attachments

• 6BDA7F92857F45B19EECE0FC4C4FAEF0.jpg
    6BDA7F92857F45B19EECE0FC4C4FAEF0.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 87

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The more I thought about it, the more curious I became regarding the origin of the term "case wear." Even though we typically think of it as a slang term, I was primarily interested to see if I could find any references of the words actually being used back in the 1800s or earlier. And although I did not find any specific 1800s or earlier references, I did find the following ...

But first, I wish to point out that the deeper and deeper I delved into the topic, and the more side-links I was invariably drawn into, the more apparent it became that if I ever hoped to find anything even remotely related to when the term originated, it seemed to boil down to finding the answers to two basic questions, which are ...

1. When was bottle embossing first introduced?
2. When were wood shipping boxes first used?

The end result of several hours of research, although not entirely conclusive, is what you see below. All things consider, and because there is ample evidence to indicate that non-slated shipping boxes (which allowed bottles to rub against one another) have been around for a long, long, time, I believe it is safe to say that the term "case wear" could very easily have originated as early as ...

1. The late 1700s early 1800s when embossing was introduced.
2. The mid 1800s when wood shipping boxes became popular.

Whichever the case (pun intended) I strongly suspect the term "case wear" was a common term at least by the late 1800s.

Bob

~*~

http://www.sha.org/bottle/glossary.htm

Case wear - Wear to the high points of the embossing, sides of a bottle, and/or the base from the bottles contact with neighboring bottles while being transported or otherwise handled in cases. Case wear is most common on soda/mineral water and beer bottles which were usually re-used many times. Click on The Dalles Soda Works to see a Hutchinson soda bottle that exhibits case wear on the high points of the embossing - a common location for such.

http://www.antiquebottles.com/condition.html

Case wear: scuffs, small scratches, and wearing away of the embossed lettering caused by the process of recycling the bottles. A case wear ring may be seen around soda bottles that have been rolled frequently across the rollers of a recycling machine. See example of heavy case wear on embossing. See example of case wear ring.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/soda.htm

... Soda water bottles were typically re-used many times. This is evidenced by extensive base and side wear to many examples. In fact, similar to beer bottles, many (most?) soda water bottles were the property of the soda bottler and were sometimes marked as such, I.e., THIS BOTTLE IS NEVER SOLD or similar embossing to that effect (Riley 1958; Paul & Parmalee 1973; Busch 1987). The Hutchinson soda pictured to the below left has significant wear to the high points of the embossing from rough contact with its neighbors in bottle cases and from the bottling process. Not surprisingly, this is often called "case wear."

http://www.antiquetrader.com/features/collecting_local_milk_bottles

Pay close attention to descriptions of condition. While a bottle may have no chips or cracks, it may have a good deal of case wear (caused by the bottles rattling around in the metal cases). Case wear is almost always present in used bottles. Minor scratches or marks on the glass are considered normal case wear, but if the wear is more pronounced the bottle isn’t considered in good condition even if it isn’t chipped or cracked. Remember, milk bottles have different standards of condition than many other forms of glassware.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/body.htm

The use of product or other proprietary mold induced embossing on bottle bodies goes back at least to the earliest portions of the period covered by this website and likely beginning in England about 1750 with the small Turlington Balsam of Life bottles (Richardson 2003). The first recorded use of mold induced proprietary embossing on an American made bottle body was around 1809 on a Dr. Robertson's Family Medicine bottle (McKearin 1970). From that point onwards, the use of embossing on bottles accelerated as the demand for bottled products increased with the increasing population of the country. In glass makers catalogs, embossed bottles were referred to as "lettered ware" (Obear-Nester Co. 1922). Even though some American-made bottles were embossed as early as 1809, if the experience in Illinois is a reasonable guide (and the author believes so), the use of product and/or proprietary lettered embossing on most utilitarian bottles (figured flasks excluded) was extremely uncommon until the late 1830s (Farnsworth & Walthall 2011). Even then - and for most of the remainder of the 19th century - most bottles and bottle types were labeled as to the product and/or purveyor (I.e., user of the bottle) information though embossing on bottles increased dramatically throughout that period, and particularly after the Civil War.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kc0MSzFvrH8C&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=1700s+bottle+crate&source=bl&ots=QBAKND2NLw&sig=sn_FESvU-G5wTG4Pw3VoeBun7Vo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=b47xUIDQH-qr2AWi8YHwAg&ved=0CF4Q6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=1700s%20bottle%20crate&f=false

Scroll to page 13 ...

"... the American wooden box had a relatively short life cycle. Boxes were most widely used as shipping containers from the mid 1800s to the 1920s, when they were displaced by the newly invented corrugated and solid fiberboard shipping containers."

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
PS ~

Even though we may never know exactly when the term "case wear" originated, I strongly suspect that it did originate from bottles being shipped in wooden cases.

Bob

Eric

Reaction score
Guess they just needed a name for it.. All I am saying is it isn't caused from the cases themselves it's from bottles hitting against bottles themselves as they travel, mainly down a conveyor line... most of the wooded cases have dividers seperating/protecting the bottles. So sad to see a nice ACL with mint paint only to be surrounded by the wear around it caused from years of recycling...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Eric

Guess they just needed a name for it.. All I am saying is it isn't caused from the cases themselves it's from bottles hitting against bottles themselves as they travel, mainly down a conveyor line... most of the wooded cases have dividers seperating/protecting the bottles. So sad to see a nice ACL with mint paint only to be surrounded by the wear around it caused from years of recycling...

Eric ~

I hear ya about the major cause of case ware. Mainly I am trying to determine the "origin" of the term, which could very well be a carry-over term from earlier days. It's kind of like the term "soda pop," which some claim originated from the popping sound when a hutchinson bottle was opened in the late 1800s. But even though most of us still call it soda pop, the actual popping sound sort of went to the wayside years ago when Crown caps were first introduced.

Thanks a lot for the input. Much appreciated.

Bob

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I just have to stick my nose in. A few years ago we had a Tail Gators Bottle Club with a member that had an wooden case of eight case gin bottles. They even showed "case wear? on the bottle shoulders. RED Mattheww

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Red ~

You are welcome to stick your nose in anytime and anywhere. You've "been there- done that" and anything you have to say is always appreciated.

The following is dated 1933 and related to milk bottles, but I still found it to be an interesting read ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=NXoOurux3PEC&pg=RA1-PA20&dq=bottles+with+case+wear&hl=en&sa=X&ei=7MnxUIS2LIOU2wXUiICACQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=bottles%20with%20case%20wear&f=false

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator