Alabama Outhouses

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Hello, Fellow Bottlediggers;
First, I want to thank everyone for their answers to my other questions.
Second I have two more questions for you if you don't mind me asking. [:)]

First question: How big were outhouse pits in north Alabama? About 3'x3'x10'? (my guess) Thankfully, I don't know much about outhouses! [:)]

Second Question: Where would the Outhouse usually be located? The place I'm wanting to search is a mid to late 1800's house located at the end of a road. It was near a small town and had two other houses pretty close to it.

I have a map I drew on the computer if you need it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thank You,

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Here's the map to help you out.
I've tried every lead I have, but no indication of the outhouse site.
I am posting this because I need some expert opinions as to where the privy might have been located. (I'm a dumb amateur [:(])I need to narrow down my search area so my probing will be more likely to succeed. (The ground in this area is clay, [hard as a rock] and capped off with thick pasture grass.) Extensive probing through that stuff is hard labor.

Here's the legend for my maps:

*The first map is an educated guess on how this area i'm searching would have looked in the early 1900's and the second map is how it looks today.

North is to the right on both maps.

The red buildings on map 1 is the home to which the outhouse in question belongs.
The green buildings on both maps are neighbors houses,
The grey buildings on map 2 are new neighbors' houses.

The Red box on map 2 is the ground that was graded off and used to fill in the large ditch, while the bright purple box is ground which has been altered since the early 1900's.

The small black arrows on the maps show the direction of a downward slope. (On map 1 it's an educated guess, of course.)

The locations of the red buildings are are not exact, but are very close.
Also, the maps are not in any particular scale, but are in direct proportion to each other.

I will try to answer any questions you have!
----------------------------------------------
Any information will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you,

P.S. I apologize for the poor upload quality. (My upload system is screwed up. [:mad:])

Zx71514.jpg

Attachments

• Zx71514.jpg
    Zx71514.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 116

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Dig1 . . .

No one is going to give you specific answers here -- there is no hard-and-fast rule to siting a privy or burn pit on a homestead. You just didn't put 'em near your cistern or well. You put 'em far enough away from your own house (and the neighbors') so that the residents weren't offended.

I can tell you that the rule of thumb here in Florida is "Twenty paces from the original back-door."

Try using a compass on your map above to make 180-degree arcs at 15 paces and at 25 paces from several places that you believe to be the back wall of the original house. All the area between the several arcs at 15 and 25 paces is where you want to target your metal-detecting and probing.

You can do this probing on the day after a good rain. Do it methodically.

Good luck!

----------Harry Pristis

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello bottledig1, i am reading a book called big house,little house,back house, barn, by thomas c. hubka, , it refer's to the back house being the privy, on your map, lower right, it might be worth checking the inside of the house, shed combo area, it also say's the outhouse is almost alway's located on the north side of the back building's or ell nearest the barn, to some old timer's the term back house is used only for the privy,of course this book is about new england farm house's but i hope some of this help's, happy digging

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese