Almost 7 years in the box....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
I like posts 10, 11 and 13 the best. Cool collection. We don't always think of that side of the hobby (the bottles the ingredients were stored in). Did you dig any or just collect? Most of them look sparkling.

RedGinger

Reaction score
And 14! I just went back and looked. Really cool. What do some of the words translate to English as?

bostaurus

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
They have all been bought over the years. I have never had the opportunity to dig though it has always been a desire to do so. I doubt you would find too many stoppered apothecaries in the pits.
Now if I could just get my in-laws to make a trip up this way and bring the boxes...or make the trip down there with a small trailer.

I have figured out some, at least the ones with full labels. Some are labeled as they would be today and some are old style and some are French.

Plantago psyllium.. a plant "mucilage" that has been used for many things, now it is used mostly as a laxative
Camphre en Morceaux...lumps of camphor
Pulv: Sacch:Lact....powdered Lactose (milk sugar)
Pot:Nitras....potassium nitrate
Mist.Bismuth.subnit.conc..... Not sure what the mist means, Bismuth subnit. was used for stomach problems and for skin
Ol. succini.....distilled oil of amber...kind of like turpentine, still a bit in the bottle and it is very strong smelling
Lin. Alba...white liniment
Lin saponis....soap liniment
oleum carbol....carbolic oil
acid carbol....carbolic acid
Tr. Tolut... Toluene
Creta Gallic...french chalk, used in cosmetics
sacch:alb:....white sugar
ox:scillia....squill
Syr:Tussis.....cough syrup
glyc:Aq:Rosea....Rose water and glycerin

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bostaurus

I figure I can count these as apothecary since they held medicines...at least that is my story.

95DDCBF9C2A5446AA74C1C365F096CEA.jpg

The small green one in the center is very nice. Glad to see you can enjoy them again..

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28