Amber American Queen pint

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rallcollector

Reaction score
To help us evaluate the jars true color, why not snap a picture of the jar next to any other similar colored amber fruit jar/bottle/snuff jar?Paul

deenodean

Reaction score
Without your insistence JAR-O my 1st impression is that it is Nuked. Perhaps a few pictures taken outside on a semi sunny day might convince the panel otherwise.

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Jaroadshow, I may be a starter member but I'm still a collector (specifically) of fruit jars for 30 years. Don't take offense to my opinion. All I'm just saying it just doesn't look "right". It could just be the photo.

The Atlas you posted was a a typical example of a lot of the nuked Atlas or Ball examples. Google your Queen along with some recent "amber" Marion 1858 jars. Definitely not the same amber. There was a similar Queen offered on EBay a few weeks back from a seller who also had a lot of deep purple bottles and an "amber" hobble skirt Coke.

Here's a link to an Ebay seller who "specializes" in irradiated jars. Be sure to check out some of his "amber" glass:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/g...g=25&_trksid=p3692

Really, hope you do have a good one.

Regards.

MNJars

Reaction score
I guess I'll weigh in as well. When I first opened this thread, I immediately said "nuked". The sunny light in the picture seems to make the "amber" look brighter and more legit. I'm not saying that it isn't legit, but that was my first impression. A side by side with a true 100% amber jar or a true 100% nuked jar, or both, would solve this mystery.

jaroadshow

Reaction score
I will be posting hopefully better pictures soon

With other amber bottles.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Just a question. Has anyone ever seen a KantKrack in color. I've only seen them in clear but it's not that I've more than a hand full.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Whoa, let's gather our thoughts here before spewing vitriol at other forum members. First of all, you asked and several members chimed in with their opinion. You seem to be adamant that this is "real" and not nuked. At the risk of being the next recipient of your rage, I still have to say that what I'm NOT seeing in the Queen jar is any of the typical orange and/or golden tones usually found in "real" amber jars. I think what Tom was asking for was to see "real", "nuked" and the Queen all in the same photo. Perhaps your camera or whatever is showing this jar more "brown" than it really is? I'm attaching a photo of some "real" amber jars made by Smalley, and I just don't see where that jar is anything close. -Tammy

Attachments

• 351d852ecc084525a5883c5339dc5b63.jpg
    351d852ecc084525a5883c5339dc5b63.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 86

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Have to agree with Tammy. Apparently this topic has gotten way too personal. The only thing I have to add is just like "real" amber jars, nuked jars also come in a variety of shades of amber (not just the motor oil amber color). For those unsure and need an example, Google images of hobble skirt Coke bottles. The other really concerning thing about irradiation is that it can also turn certain compositions of glass cornflower blue. It comes down to caveat emptor. Good provenance and history of an item is invaluable when buying expensive glass.

Here's a good reference with some color examples:

http://www.realorrepro.co...Changes-Color-of-Glass

http://www.nia.org/altered/

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice reference for irradiated color variations. Sometimes we forget irradiation produces something other than deep purple and sickly brown.Here's another link to take a look at: http://www.hoosierjar.com/colorguide.htmlGreg doesn't go into the irradiated colors, but it's a great guide for what comes naturally.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles