amber hobble shirt coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i hope that some of the knowledgeable coke collectors can shed some light on this for me. i have been told these bottles don't exist, but i came across this picture. does anyone know for a fact that they were real or fakes. if real were they in production? i need to add that this isn't my bottle and i came across this picture on the internet.

Db86272.jpg

cc6pack

Reaction score
When the hobbleskirts are exposed to radiation they turn amber, brown. They were never made in the radiated colors you see, on ebay and at shows. They are sold to the inexperienced for pure profit.

flasherr

Reaction score
This was a regular coke bottle until it was nuked with a high dose of radiation. If you want one for yourself pay what you are comfortable with. As far as value it has none. If you do get one keep it out of sunlight as it will start to lighten up if exposed over a period of time
Brian

bubbas dad

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. i have always been told that they were never made. as far as i know thats still true. i have heard of and seen irradiated bottles, but they were usually either lighter or sickly looking. it's this pretty dark to be irratiated?

flasherr

Reaction score
I think alot has to do what compounds are in the glass. and possibly how long or what process is used. I know a guy that has glass altered. different glass does different things He can tell what will normaly turn but has no idea what it will turn into. i know he has one painted label bottle that he has nuked and it comes out prety dark brown. also i have seen him zap war time pepsi bottles and early red white pepsi bottles. So newer stuff will turn if exposed. I dont know much but i know what i have seen after it is zapped.
Brian

BARQS19

Reaction score
I was told by a very big Coca Cola bottle collector that he was told that any amber contours with an "X" by the date on the side were considered prototype bottles. He wasn't too sure though and he wouldn't let me know where he got the information from. Well I dug one that has that X, I know it hasnt' been radiated, so who knows. It's like this, all of these reproductiosn hurt the market so that when something rare pops up most think it's fake. Of course I have heard of the radiating bottles, I know some who do that, he had a bright purple Dr. Pepper thief bottle and a few amber ones, waste of bottles I might say. Until I can find out further information about this "X" I'm just hanging on to mine. It's from Ogden, Utah.
Robert
BARQS19

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Not all amber Coca-Cola bottles have been nuked. I was told by one of the largest Coke bottle collectors, they did make them and use them on a limited bases in a few cities. I believe it was a test market item. Coke was and still is issuing new items and packaging.

Lee

madman

Reaction score
hey robert, id love to see a picture of your bottle with the x!!! sounds very interesting!! ive not seen more than 10 amber hobbie skirts, but check this out i used to no this guy who worked at a glass company, which was originally the root glass co. he told me the made some wierd colored bottles, just by adding different colors to the mix he said they made some cobalt hobbies and some odd 7ups mike

madman

Reaction score
oh yes, its not hard to believe a small amount of amber hobbies were produced amber was widely used on sodas from the 20s and 30s mike

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Be nice if we could get some actual pics and documentation about these amber hobbleskirts. Mebbe set the record straight and put some rumors to rest.
It is an established fact that glass company employees liked to "mess around" and make things for themselves. Many such items are known as "whimseys"...and bring big $$$ when sold.
Most of the irradiated hobbleskirts I am acquainted with were nuked at Oak Ridge in the late 1960s...as a result they were mainly base marked from Tennessee cities, as that was what was most readily available. Also the amber is not as dark...appearing light in color and doesn't seem to be a "true amber".

Saw a quart Drey Improved Mason at the flea yesterday that had been nuked: guy wanted $35 for it. I passed...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960