American Pickers nonsense.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I personally like these shows because they still have educational value of America's history. Most of the shows are staged. They'll practice without the cameras rolling and then with the cameras rolling. I went to the website for pawn stars a while back and they said send an email of what you want to sell/ pawn and you can be on the show if they have enough interest in it. so its real people and real items but just staged. I watch it for the information, which i believe was its original purpose. quote from American Pickers : "We tell the History of America- One piece at a time"

bostaurus

Reaction score
Some people believe THIS
In Louisiana we used to have the Bopotomus Festival in honor of the bopotomus. A hog/hippo looking creature that lived in the deep woods and lived off of naugas. The became rare when most of the naugas were hunted for their skins...naugahyde. Honest. I know someone who has seen one!

Blackglass

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

That was hilarious! One of many blunders I have noticed all in the name of entertainment. My favorite was one of the first ones when they ran into the guy with thousands of movie posters,called there expert friend, found out they were going to make a killing and bought only a few and left. Probably had to save room in the van incase they ran into an antique hot dog cooker or something really exciting. Anything but reality. Pawn stars is even more scripted in their B.S.. Both are fun to watch but I hate that people that have no idea are thinking this crap is reality. How sick do you think pawn shop owners are of someone walking in with an old monopoly game or 80 yr. old book asking when the expert is showing up?

On that same episode, they "found" a whole lot of prohibition-era labled whiskey flasks, worth $8-$20 a piece, and just through them back under the stage floor....I was like " If you guys don't want them, can I buy them?"....

glass man

Reaction score
PEOPLE WOULD LIE TO US ON THE TUBE?[&o]

I WISH RICK AND ME COULD DIG A BIG PIT ,PUT IN BOTTLES AHEAD OF TIME AND ACT LIKE WE WERE JUST FINDING THEM WEEK AFTER WEEK..GET PAID A MILLION APIECE A YEAR AND WITH THE RICK'S HUMOR IT WOULD BE A HIT..I WOULD BE HIS KINDA STARIGHT MAN [WOULD NEED SOME MEDS!]

EVERY OTHER WEEK A TOW TRUCK OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WOULD HAVE TO PULL MY FAT BUTTOCKS OUTTA THE HOLE..I WOULD COME UP GRINNING HOLDING A GREAT BOTTLE EACH TIME![:)][8D][8D] JAMIE

ballyhooligan

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but the people from American Pickers do legitimately purchase antiques from people on the show. There are a lot of scripted elements, especially the idea that any of the "free picking" taped stuff was not pre-arranged, as are the little side stories, but they are legitimately buying antiques.. and you can purchase them from them at their shop. There are people with properties full of crap that are just beging for them to come visit them.

In one episode, I saw something in the background of one of these people's homes that I wanted. I did some research, tracked the guy down, and got in contact with him. He was offered $800 by the pickers for the piece in question, but declined it. I offered him $1200, and I was able to make my purchase. I've tried unsuccessfully to track down a few other people to buy some stuff I saw featured on the show.

As for Pawn Stars, yeah... it's bullshit.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Some of those old bikes really are worth restoring. I'm not really into the show. It was interesting to see some old crocks they found, but they pass right by the bottles. I find the pair kind of annoying and I don't like when they take someone for an item they know nothing about. I know they have to make a profit, but sometimes, it's a bit much.

surfaceone

Reaction score
but sometimes, it's a bit much. 

Hey Lauren,

Then you ain't seen Larry The Cable Guy does Some Historical Stuff, or whatever that show does. Too much for me...

cd-cover.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960