Another key find from Downeast Maine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adshepard

Reaction score
Found this key while diving near the old steamship wharves in Downeast Maine. I had no idea what it was for at first but now I think I know. But first I'll let members take a shot at it. It's brass with the number 78 embossed on it and about two inches long. It is also hollow. I found it in about 20 feet of water.

3053737DD027430D97CA4D88BDFE7AB0.jpg

Alan

Attachments

• 3053737DD027430D97CA4D88BDFE7AB0.jpg
    3053737DD027430D97CA4D88BDFE7AB0.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 75

adshepard

Reaction score
Clock, potentially a ship's clock was my first thought. However with the number "78" on it I thought maybe not and kept looking. The wharves also had many businesses on them over the water which gave me another thought. Many of the wharves and their businesses were destroyed in fires and storms over the years.

adshepard

Reaction score
My next thought after somewhat dismissing the clock key idea was a night watchmen's key. There were many factories along the wharves that utilized night watchmen. I dismissed that somewhat after looking at some old night watchemn keys on-line.

However I finally stumbled upon an antique key website and one of the categories caught my eye.

Antique steamer trunk keys. I looked through them and this key matched some of them very closely.

So that is what I believe it is. It makes some sense. Over the years these wharves were heavily visited by steamships and there must have been thousands of steamer trunks being loaded and unloaded each and every year.

Of course I could be dead wrong.

Alan

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Looks like a key for a carpenter chest or something similar. Most trunks had pretty cheap locks and I don't remember seeing any double bitted locks on trunks, but they may be out there. This one looks like it was for a good quality lock like a half mortise lock on a chest. Rolltop desks also used this type of key but those are usually solid shank, meaning that the lock doesn't have a pin to engage the hollow key shaft. I'll bet that 1800s ships kept a carpenter chest on board to have the tools to fix whatever went wrong while out at sea.

adshepard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: toddrandolph

Looks like a key for a carpenter chest or something similar. Most trunks had pretty cheap locks and I don't remember seeing any double bitted locks on trunks, but they may be out there. This one looks like it was for a good quality lock like a half mortise lock on a chest. Rolltop desks also used this type of key but those are usually solid shank, meaning that the lock doesn't have a pin to engage the hollow key shaft. I'll bet that 1800s ships kept a carpenter chest on board to have the tools to fix whatever went wrong while out at sea.

Corbin Lock ( of my town of birth, New Britain, Connecticut) made double bitted locks for trunks according to what I can find. However I have no proof as to what it actually is. I rather like the carpenter chest suggestion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles