RE-Discoveries

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Semar

Reaction score
After being stored in my overcrowded cellar for the last20 odd years, I finally found my box of 'good' bottles.
Here's a sample. in the back is a pristine medicine w/a kicked up bottom and pontiled; I found this one tucked in a corner where the rafter meets the plate in a post and beam building. The label came off in my hand and disintegrated; it was a cherry cough medicine an it is as clean as the day it was blown at the glasshouse.
The geometric ink was found at the bottom of a kettle hole pond in the center of a very old village; I was using a Bull Rake 2' wide with very thin teeth with a wire basket attached to the rake head, it was in turn attached to a 20' pole; these are used for deep water clamming. I made one pass through the mud in about 12 feet of water and it came up with the rake perched on one of the teeth by the opening; I thought the guy I was sharing the bull rake with was going to kill me out of pure jealousy! I can't remember where I picked up the pig bottle but it was not dug; on the bottom is a printed paper label that says cologne. An example of the pig cologne is on display at the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning NY. I'd suggest to any bottle collector that it's worth the trip to this museum plus the Steuben Glass Works is there and can also be visited. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0634.jpg
    DSCF0634.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 70

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Superb finds. One of these days I need to ask my neighbor if I can crawl underneath his old house to look for bottles.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That ink is stunning! What a shame that the label was lost for the med, it looks like an extremely early one. It looks very unusual for American glass too, I wonder if it's of European origin.

Semar

Reaction score
A neighbor down the street has a house built in 1840; it looks like it's straight out of an Adams Family cartoon. It was built on brick columns and there was about 3 feet of clearance below. I was doing some repairs there and spotted a pretty neat pontiled bottle, sick as hell, but it still nice. A Sands' Sarsaparilla.
DSCF0655.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0656.jpg
    DSCF0656.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 32

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen